Pipe or Porting for '99 Husky WR 125 ?

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
The stock pipe is on now with a Pro Circuit S/A endcap. I would really like to improve the low end and maybe the top a bit, but mostly the low end. I ride trails and the occasional SoCal desert enduro.

Eric Gorr's porting is $120. I was looking at the DynoPort torque pipe or an FMF Fatty. The DynoPort is pricey at $230 but I have read that it's terrific. Also, can I use my Pro circuit endcap with another company's pipe ?

It's porting or pipe - not both. Or is there anything else I can do to pick up some low end and get a bit more rev ? Maybe something more inexpensive ?

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
Sorry, but I don't know anything about 125's. But I can tell you that I owned a '96 ktm 300 with a procircuit pipe with an FMF silencer. The stock silencer fit on the pipe also. To me the 125's are like weedeaters on crack cocain:p . I ride a Gas Gas 250 XC but 125's frighten me a bit. Have you tried a shorty silencer? Sounds to me you need a 200 or a 250 cc bike.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
I'm not the duty expert here but 125's are NOT really know for having great low end. Someone correct me if I'm off base here. You might want to look into going up a tooth or so on your rear sprocket, but then you'll loose out on some top end speed. Have you looked into a reed spacer??? Is your jetting dailed in??? What about adding some more flywheel weight??? Is there some mods that can be done to your power valve to improve low end???

If you want more rev, then the flywheel weights would not be the answer, but should help with smoothing out the motor and making it able to lug a little better.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want more low end if you ride in the desert??? I know from my past experiences that desert riding / racing is moslty fast and open with some slow tight sections in river washes...

Check out FBF's website for more info on your bike http://www.ferracci.com/fbfnew.html

Rick

Last edited:

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Team Husqvarna off-road runs a stock exhaust system with FBF porting for best overall results. See address in above post. If you have questions you might e-mail husqvarnausa.com, they can fill you in on how to get FBF to do what you want. FBF does only husky, stick with them.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I'm surprised you are unsatisfied with your low end. My CR125 with pro circuit pipe has pretty fair low end even without the heaiver flywheel. What is the tempature and alltitude you are running in? Have you got the right pilot jet for your conditions, and have you adjusted the air screw and idle properly? That made a noticable difference on my bike. I'm running one size leaner on both pilot and main jets than the shop manual reccomends.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Well I am coming off a '97 XR 250 so this is certainly a bit less in the low end department. I have a 35 pilot and have varied the main anywhere between 390 and 410. I think my needle clip position could be better but I am unable to remove the throttle cable myself - I tried and tried but just can't get it to come out.

I ride between 2000 and 6000 feet mainly - temps 80's to 90's of late. The main issue is the hesitation during roll on - it gets gurgly and then finally kicks in. I think the needle adjustment will solve this but I was still wondering if I could get more out of it regardless. I have the stock pipe.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Originally posted by the Eel
I am unable to remove the throttle cable myself.

Eel, has the plastic collar become detached from the end of the spring, ie stuck on the retainer? Hope not, coz that's a pain to fix :think:. If that's not the problem, try screwing the throttle play adjuster in as far as it will go. That will give you more room at the carb end of the cable... The needle does sound rich from your description. Btw, how long since it had a fresh top end?

GL :).

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
The retainer is still OK. I just bought the bike used so I'm not sure when the last top end was, though I have put close to 40 hours on the bike already since I bought it. Does that mean it's time ? It seems to run well but I still have that low end gurgle.

robj

Oct 31, 2000
I think it must be to do with a worn top end , jetting or timing. My 01 WR125 is very smooth off the bottom like a trail bike then pulls stronger through the mid range into a decent top end hit. The jetting is stock, but I lowered the needle a notch. I run it with a full Doma pipe. The Husky is designed to be torquier than a japanese 125, so it's worth persevering.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by the Eel
just bought the bike used so I'm not sure when the last top end was, though I have put close to 40 hours on the bike already since I bought it. Does that mean it's time ? It seems to run well but I still have that low end gurgle.

That's a lot of time on a 125 (& U don't know how long the prev. owner had on it), tho perhaps not 4 a euro bike as they use forged pistons; it's certainly time to pull it & measure everything, definitely replace the rings & clean the exhaust valve - both of the latter can be detrimental to your low & top-end performance demands & produce odd & counter-intuitive jetting symptoms that send U in the wrong direction.

To get you thru the SoCa riding season, which has just started, I recommend we do the above now (with a stock piston in-hand just in case) & later when U can spare the time sending the jug to Eric for mo-everywhere porting.

I do not know if an aftermarket pipe is better than the stocker. expensive, but worth a try if others concurr, but not necessary.

Takes ~1 hour to pull the top end apart; 2 to put it back together right, torque specs., gaskets, & all. I'll be in Burbank from 9-11 this Sat. if U want to meet up your way & get it done, or do it in my garage Sat. afternoon.

I have all of the tools escept for a ball hone; if U can tell me the cylinder dia. - look in the manual - I'll get one (as Eric recommends) to clean things up.

Do get a piston kit, wrist pin, bearing, clips; head & base gasket; intake gasket if the carb intake track attaches to the cylinder (not needed if it is a case reed intake). Should run ~$100-150. Perhaps Eric's in Pasadena has the parts in stock.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Your jetting sounds right for that altitude. And, yeah, getting the cable off to adjust the needle is a real pain. Also have you cleaned your power valve, or checked it to see if it is gummed up?

bud

Jun 29, 1999
re unhooking the cable from the retaining screw

It's like changing tires - just takes a bit of practice.

It blew me away when I had to get a new retaining screw, and my local shop didn't have one in stock. My mechanic (who's been racing for 20 years) took about 15 secs to disassemble a carb on a new bike and get the retaining screw out. He was chatting away the whole time. Pretty impresive I thought, but now I've done it so many times myself, it doesn't seem so amazing. It's quite possible to change the needle position, including getting the carb off the bike and back on in less than a minute, even for me, and I'm no pro :).

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I really do think the needle position is the culprit - I'll have to endeavor to get the throttle cable out again. I just about blew my top out of frustration the last time I tried. I have never checked the powervalve dealio - where is it and how do I check it ?

For what it's worth this is a terrific bike now that I'm getting used to it. It's definitely a lightswitch compared to my XR but it's still very rideable. And the darn thing climbs fairly well too ... should be even better once I sort out the low end jetting issue.

The suspension settings are just about there ... took some time but I feel I'm getting close.

LastPlace - check your private messaging.

Thanks fellas ... :cool:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Eel: check your PM folder.

Perhaps the needle adujstment can carry U thu until we can do the top end/exhaust valve, which should be done ASAP.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Eel,

How does the WR fair in the desert compared to the XR? Obvioulsy lighter with a better suspension, but does the motor offer sufficient power to scale the hills and make it across the sand wash's?

Duke

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
The power is fine so far in the dez. LARGE sand hills do present a problem though.

The difference is that I could tackle this stuff slowly on the XR - on the little WR I've gotta ride it like my life depended on it. In other words - light the fuse and hang on !

The WR 125 definitely demands aggression to get the job done.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
125s just aren't great sand machines. A 250 just has more torque whether it is a 2 or 4-stroke which makes it easier to ride in sand.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I have ridden my YZ125 in Gorman with no problem. In some instances it was better then my previous bike: XR400. It does quite well in GP's. Especially towards the end of an hour when my fellow 40 year old riders are begginning to tire. But I was curious as to their performance in a real desert enviroment like Red Mountain or El Mirage.

Bill

Top Bottom