pipe query/advice... 84 KDX 200

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
howdy all, long time between posts, hope you all are having a great start to 2005.

onto my KDX200 (84 model). (ahhh... the shift key)

I've been noticing some spooge coming out of the junction between the exhaust port and the beginning of the expansion pipe. Mine has two O-rings, which I am about to replace with fresh new ones. The parts catalog specifies an exhaust gasket to be in place, along with the two O-rings for the pipe.

Interesting thing is that the service manual recommends that grease should be used on the joint. But many mechanics have advised on using slicone/silastic, and no gasket.

Which is the best way to go? I shudder to think of how much it would cost for a genuine Kawasaki gasket. Any alternatives? Does there need to be a gasket in place? Many thanks for making it this far...

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Are you talking about between the jug and the pipe? If so on my 99 200 the new o-rings didn't fit tight, what solved the problem was a crush washer that fit between the pipe and jug. It is made of soft material so it forms a seal around the pipe. When I replaced it, stopped the leak and added more power. This may be what you are referring to as a gasket if so I would replace. Check for aftermarket.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Not sure if the gasket is similar to that of the newer bikes,is it a hollow copper O-ring that ends up crushing flat?,I would recommend keeping it,even reusing the old one if it is decent shape,if missing install one,since I believe it isolates the pipe from the cylinder.New o-rings might stop the spooge but a little silicone can't hurt,just spread a thin layer over the O-rings before you install the pipe and it should cure the leak,make sure to clean the area on the pipe and cylinder with some contact cleaner before applying the silicone for a good bond.

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
right on 2wheeler, we're talking between the jug and the pipe. always was wanting a better choice of words, just :bang: didn't come out right goddammitt! :bang:

I've cleaned the pipe, have fresh O-rings in place, but there was no copper ring/gasket in place! So I'll be giving those a good clean and heaping on the silicone, as per jdbrusch's suggestions. But will be on the lookout for a gasket... thanks all once again.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
The copper 'gasket' takes the bulk of the wear from vibration, else the header pipe wears an unhealthy groove into the jug.

Top Bottom