pipe, reeds and a pipe guard. finally

Jul 25, 2005
I finally get a new pipe and reeds along with a pipe guard. the thing is i cant ride it without getting a wiseco piston. i would scare myself to death riding it with the grenadable stock piston. i have 500 miles on my 220s piston and am just dying to go buy a new one plus a manual to have peace of mind.

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I have a 05 220r and run the hell out of it and never had a problem. I doubt that kawa would sell the machine with a know issue like that. It might happen but it might happen to other bikes as well. Ride that SOB.

ELF

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Well... they do. Just a fact that you will have to deal with on the 220's. Sure... ignore it and your 220 will more than likely go away. :cool:

Jan 16, 2005
I was going to say just ride it...but w/500 miles, I'd say wait for your new piston. Mine has about the same and it's going in the shop this month for a carb mod, suspension work and piston replacement just to be on the safe side. I know I'd be that 1/10 that blows.

Jul 25, 2005
yeah thats why i said i would rather spend 200 bucks and get everything new and not have to worry about it than spend well over 500 to fix it after it blows or cracks . the pistons on these things are grenades it is just a matter of time till it breaks.i have seen pictures of other peoples misfortune and i am not taking another chance to ride until i get that new piston and not have to worry about it for a few years when it needs rings.

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
Wiseco pistons are lightweight metal...and Kawa's factory's are steel. So I would think the wiseco, being lighter for racing where they replace the piston every race, would be less durable. When I did my rebuild, the factory was more expensive, but I went that way for the durability.

Jul 25, 2005
let me explain the stock factory piston gets hairline fractures and get bigger and bigger until it grenades, or a piece of the bottom breaks off and falls into the bottom end and ruins your whole motor. with the wiseco, they are not necesarrily for racing, although they can. but the wiseco wont fall apart on you. i have never heard of a wiseco falling apart on you, except when someone doesn't put the c clip on right.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
03KDXHOPPER said:
Wiseco pistons are lightweight metal...and Kawa's factory's are steel. So I would think the wiseco, being lighter for racing where they replace the piston every race, would be less durable. When I did my rebuild, the factory was more expensive, but I went that way for the durability.

Better do your homework!

Stock is NOT steel! They are aluminum and are cast unlike Wiseco which are forged.

And no... they are not less durable. As with any forged piston though... you must let them come to temp before running them hard. It may take longer to warm up your bike but they will increase throttle response slightly. Forged pistons are stronger than cast pistons... that's why people who race use them.....

If your still not convinced.... read this:

http://www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/TechNote41.htm

Or this:
http://www.tprmag.com/issue/6/6_forged_perf.shtml

Last edited:
Top Bottom