JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
I have a pro circuit platinum pipe that has cracked open along the weld seam. I'm looking for suggestions about how to weld it up. I was thinking of heli arc, but I'm concerned about the oil/carbon on the inside of the pipe. I don't think I can get the inside completely clean and I fear anything left will cause porosity in the weld. Any suggestions?

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Take it to a radiator shop or an engine shop and have them hot-tank it for you, this will get it spotless inside and out. Then you can weld it, a MIG or a TIG will work just fine.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I use a torch to weld pipes. Yes the area has to be clean, however the torch will burn off most impurities. I like using a torch due to the lack of protruding penetration to disturb the airflow or sonic wave. If I use a TIG I always get internal penetration. Proper gas welds hold up very well.

Chris

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Chris,
It's quite possible that you would dimple the inside of the metal slightly with a tig weld, but I'm just curious... how do you know it? Flashlight?

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Jaybird, I do quite a bit of fabrication. I have made pipes for bikes, and then reworked them to get the tuning right. This involves cutting them apart. What I have found is that TIG welding often produces deep penetration, well beyond the thickness of the metal. especially if the metal is not a perfect match or I allow just a little too much heat to build up. The gas torch weld may be better for some applications.

Chris

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm somewhat into fabrication as well. My sheet metal experience is a bit less than other areas though. I'm wondering, say a pipe in Johns condition...what would you do for prep? I'm with spanky on the hot dip, but what about the weldment...do you grind at all? Do you try to vise the seem back into place before welding? I've never had to weld a pipe, but I may someday.
tia

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Piperepair

Ask them to de-carbon the pipe too...they will at the same price.....tamp it out real good when you get it back....A+ service

What can you seal a pipe with to keep from rusting so much.....any kinda high temp clear coat ??

Nov 21, 1999
Thanks for the web page spanky. I'll give them a try. The guy I bought the bike from is give me a smashed pro circuit pipe for free. Probably a good idea to have a pipe in waiting. Thanks for the advice Mtrider. freebies are always nice. THANKS AGAIN GUY'S

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Are there any places you can send a smashed pipe for repair?

Try asking your local dealership. My local Yamaha dealer has reapiared my pipe a couple of times and it looks great, except for a little bit of discoloration in the area of the dents. He charges like $30 or somthing. I dont know the process but I think he heats it up then blows the dents out with an air compressor by blocking one end and having a special nozzle type thing for the air hose.
If anyone know the procedure of how they repair the pipes, I would really like to know

Last edited:

TravisCR500R

Mar 21, 2001
Hehe...reminds me of a husqvarna I once had...
Riding the bike on a Washington state logging road, i was cruising quite nicely over logs and what not.
All of a sudden, the bit quits. dead. Kick, and kick...this thing isn't starting for nothing. I found out later it was a short on the lighting circuit grounding to the frame and causing the ignition to poop.
So the thing backfired after like ten kicks and simultaneously blowing my eardrums (and my buddy Dennis's too!) and also splitting the pipe down one of the welds on the expansion chamber.
Well Piss!! now what?!?!?
I took it to work ( I was a machinist at the time) and had one of the welders "Fuse" the weld together i.e. using a TIG welder but using no rod for filler.
Worked like a champ! This bike rattles more than an old model T. The weld or "Fuse" as I would say, never did give out.
Hope this helps!
Travis Rydberg

Top Bottom