Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
These tires came stock on my TM.. I've never tried a Pirelli on a bike before, so I wasn't sure how they would perform..

Performance: Excellent. The front is probably the best I've ever tried, on a huge mixture of terrain. This front tire is very confidence inspiring and predictable, until it got worn down, it tended to wash out on dry hardpack and off-camber. The rear is a good all around performer as well.. Not quite as good of bite as a Michelin S12 but extremely predictable. I like to steer with the rear wheel so I got along with this tire well, and it's tendency to controllably slide on hard, flat turns.

Durability: Not too sure on this one.. The rear did okay but not great, it lasted 3 months, not quite as long as I get out of a Michelin S12 but much longer than a Dunlop or Bridgestone. The front was also worn out after 3 months.. Usually I get a lot more life out of front tires, only needing replacement in the time it takes to wear out two rears.
The rear stayed sharp for a long time, then it began to chunk badly, even losing some complete tread blocks on the side, and rounding off. The front knobs just shrunk considerably and rounded off as well.

I just put on a set of Michelin S12 tires front/rear, we'll see how these ones do compared to the Pirelli's.. First thing I noticed is that the front doesn't do nearly as well on hardpack, especially downhill ruts etc. The rear is hooking up like crazy, clawing on anything and everything for perfect traction. It bites better than the Pirelli, getting no wheelspin, even in the turns.. I might miss that a bit, but I'll adapt to it.

Read into this report what you will.. I really liked the Pirelli tires, both were great performers, but the front wore awful fast for my liking and the rear doesn't bite as well, or last quite as long as an S12.

If I can't get used to this S12 front, I may go back to the Pirelli MT32 front, the short life span is worth the amazing traction it gets at severe lean angles.. In the mean time, I'll work on these S12s and hopefully be able to provide a better comparison once they are worn out.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Cam, if you want to try a great set of skins, give a set of MITAS tires a try. I just put a set on my 400EXC and the traction is as good or better than S12s and the wear is awesome. 3 harescrambles on them and they still have a nice sharp edge on the knobs. The best part is that a pair costs around $140 CDN!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Cam - The timing of your post could not have been better. The S-12s come highly recommended, and I was going to get them, but I have the opportunity to get some new Pirelli M-32s dirt cheap.

Post again once you've spent some more time on the S12s.

- Bill

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Cam,i just went michelin from d756(75slick) lol.no i loved the d756 exept for the wear....fast.i went m12 front s12 rear,thought the m would help in situations like u mention.so far....awesome 150 mi on them the lines on the end of the nobs still there.actually fatty_k ,drn member sold me on the m's.i ride a variety,sand to gravel beds.so it's not all soft miles.i just ordered pirellis for my other bike 44/32 got a deal so we'll see.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I prefer the mt32 front over any michelin or dunlop front. I found it very good everywhere except in sticky mud, where the 756f may be better. I still like the s12 rear, but I think I'll try a trelleborg (trackmaster ?) rear next.

chasejj

Nov 29, 2001
I have the same TM as Cam and found similar traits with the tires mentioned. However my experience on hardpack was different. Out here on some of the hardpan trails with a thin loose layer on top, the front did not hold a line very well IMHO. The new S12 I put on does a bit better job in that regard. But for this stuff I hear good things about the Michelin Starcross MH. I run 12-13 psi front and rear. The S12 rear is absolutely awesome though and big improvement over the Pirelli MT16 that was on the rear of my bike. The front was a MT32A which according to Pirelli is more a mud/sand tire. :aj:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom