MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I posted a couple weeks ago my dilemna on getting my KTM 450 signed off. The non-DOT tires have been the culprit. So I broke down and bought a Pirelli MT44 for the front, a soft-terrain tire that's DOT approved. I also bought a Michelin AC10 for the rear. I've found less selection for rear tires than front.

I'm hearing information about 4 local police agencies now that will only use their staff that has been "certified" to perform these inspections. I think this is the issue with the tires. I wonder if everyone in Michigan will eventually have to deal with this.

I got the MT44 front today, and decided to put it alongside a new Michelin S-12 I have in the barn. I bought it for the KTM, but didn't mount it when I started having the sign-off problem.

I think this is important for us in Michigan particularly because the S-12 is the standard front tire for our sand, and a comparison favorable to the S-12 is important.

The PIrelli looks pretty good for a DOT tire. Here's the first picture that compares the knob size and pattern. The knobbie heights are identical through the whole profile, but you can see a pattern difference. Overall, not bad. The only thing I wonder about is the side traction of the PIrelli vs. the Michelin.

The second picture shows the side view where the Michelin says "Not for Highway Use", whereas the Pirelli has the desired "DOT" designation. For the trained eye, obviously rubbing out the "Not" on the Michelin will guarantee a sign-off.

I hope this provides someone some benefit. I'll show the AC10 when it shows up.

Attachments

• Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 2,107
  • PIrelli vs.jpg
    PIrelli vs.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,049

BigEasy

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 22, 2005
If you have an extra front, you want to off let me know. If the size is right, I 'll prolly take it off your hands. My dot front needs replacing, just feels terrible in the corners. I am watching a matching rear right now on the bay. MT44

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Looks pretty good for a dot tire. I've heard nothing but good stuff about Pirelli dirt bike tires in general. I might try Pirelli someday if I could find em for a good price. They are not cheap!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
MWEISSEN said:
... I'm hearing information about 4 local police agencies now that will only use their staff that has been "certified" to perform these inspections. I think this is the issue with the tires. I wonder if everyone in Michigan will eventually have to deal with this.
I sure hope not!

I ran a Pirelli MT44 front and MT32 rear combo on my 200 EXC last summer. I liked them better than the stock Bridgestones, but not as much as the S-12s. Didn't even realize the front was DOT approved. Is the MT32 DOT approved?

As far as wear, they lasted for the Mini/Loose Moose and the SDM ride (including Drummond), so after about 700 miles they were pretty worn. Replaced them with S12s, which are still my favorites for Michigan. Especially like the side knobbies on the front.

Considering that you need to get plated, I wouldn't hesitate running the Pirelli's again.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
BigEasy said:
If you have an extra front, you want to off let me know. If the size is right, I 'll prolly take it off your hands. My dot front needs replacing, just feels terrible in the corners. I am watching a matching rear right now on the bay. MT44

The S-12 is brand spanking new. I was going to hold it until one of the other bikes needs it, but if you want it, I'll sell it to you for what I got it for. PM me if interested.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
bbarel said:
Looks pretty good for a dot tire. I've heard nothing but good stuff about Pirelli dirt bike tires in general. I might try Pirelli someday if I could find em for a good price. They are not cheap!

The Pirelli's are cheaper than Michelin's! I paid $43 for the MT44 front. Now the AC10, that's was a lot more....

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I got the Michelin AC10 rear today. This doesn't look bad either. There sure is a lot of separation between the knobs, it'll be interesting to find out how that feels on pavement! Dududududu!

Here's a couple of shots.

Now if I don't pass, I'm definitely being picked on!

Oh yeah one other thing. I got an Australian taillight lens, KTM OEM, which includes the clear spot in the lens to light the license lamp. This could also be a sticking point.....

Attachments

• AC10 profile.jpg
    AC10 profile.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,153
  • Michelin AC10.jpg
    Michelin AC10.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,038
Top Bottom