dakayla

Jul 31, 2001
Hi Aimee! It's Brian from Kennedy Meddows (July 27th-29th). I think you'll be fine with a paddle tire... otherwise, you should cross your fingers. Good Luck,

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Hey Brian! Glad you decided to join us on the forums. :) Did you check out the Kennedy Meadows 8/24-26/01 post? We'll be back up there again. Your wife is more than welcome to take my bike out on the trails. :)

A friend of mine has the ttr, I know she would have to get a paddle but I'm just not really sure how her bike would do in the sand there. I suppose if it struggled she could just stay on the hard pack near the water.

dakayla

Jul 31, 2001
Yep! I saw the late August KM posting, and plan on riding with "fists of fury!" I'm still in the market for a good bike for her (instead of her new quad) and appreciate the ride offer. We'll be going out to the cabin in Yucca Valley this weekend, and my wife will have a chance to ride a couple differant bikes out there... It's been real tough finding a KTM200mx for sale. I've check all around, but nothing.

If your friend is a light-wieght, I couldn't imaging having too many problems... just don't plan on any BIG dune climbs! :o)

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by dakayla
It's been real tough finding a KTM200mx for sale. I've check all around, but nothing.

I was originally in the market for the EXC but they were tough to find. Called at least 6 dealers in CA alone not to mention checked a few out of state, Nothing. I really lucked out finding my bike on traderonline.com
Has she tried at KDX200 before?

Just out of curiosity, is your screen name a combo of you kids' names?

dakayla

Jul 31, 2001
Yes, actually... Dakota and Kayla are "dakayla". That's my license plate, and my (future) company name. DaKayla Motorsports? Sounds great! Anyway, we haven't tried the KDX (yet) but our options are still open. I was so impressed with your KTM200mx intially, I've really opened up to that bike. I'm such a Yamaha fan, and always have been, but my wife is the one that will be riding "her" bike, not me. So whatever makes her feel the most comfortable... I've definately steared away from the TT-R125L though. since hearing from your experience and many others now, the bike will be outgrown (physically) almost immediately. Not worth it. I've seen more and more TT-R125s going up for sale (Cheap!) from "out-grown" sellers.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Brian,
Glad to see you on here! It was great meeting and riding with you at KM. You really need to think about Chris's advice and stick with us next time (hehehe - no blood from head ons). Give us all a shout when you are planning on going back to KM and we'll try to hook up. Also keep an eye on this forum for future rides elsewhere.
Eddie

dakayla

Jul 31, 2001
Thanks Eddie,

Yeah, Chris was certain right. Next time I'll carry extra gas so that I can go the distance. I'll definately let you know when I'm going up to KM again. I'm already prepairing for the August 24-26 trip. Last night I changed out my front sprocket (13 instead of stock 14), I took a link out of my chain, and moved my rear axle up a 1/4 inch. It will be good R&D for this KM trip, as I should be able to get really technical on those rock climbs and switch backs. I can't wait. I'm also looking into re-jetting for the trip. This weekend I'm desert riding in Yucca Valley, and since I've taken about 15 mph off my top speed due to the sprocket change, things will get interesting. I also put on a brand spankin' new pair of MSR "Dominator" bars (to replace the stock bars I tweaked in KM trying to prove the Mass vs. Inertia! :scream: ) Great, light wieght, strong, and extra thick walled bars at half the cost of the compairable Renthals/FMF bars!

Hey, wasn't this forum suppossed to be about "Pismo"?! Ha ha ha :D

Talk to you guys later!

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Back to Pismo

If your going to take a TTR125 out there, better pray for rain. I've not ridden a TTR but, would think the motor would have trouble pulling a paddle or the clutch would have to be abused to get the bike rolling. Maybe not, like I said, I haven't ridden one.

I know I'm from Pa but, I grew up in SLO and have rode at Pismo many times, on many different bikes, in different generations.

Have a tri-tip sandwich for me:)

vetwfo'er

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Pismo power

The dunes at Pismo aren't much different than Glamis as far as needed power is concerned, so a TTR125 will probably have a very tough time hanging with the rest in the dunes.

If the bike is ridden near the beach, where the sand is wet and solid, there should be no problems, even without a paddle. That limits the riding area considerably though, and no dunes.

I wasn't able to find any Pismo clams when I was there. I wonder if they still exist (at any time)? It's probably just a myth to draw tourists.:silly:

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Pismo!!!!!!!!! Hey looks like there will be a few going great! I'll be going Friday afternood. Be in my Ford F350 white w/ my old Komfort trailer. White with olive green center stripe.
Brian was good to see ya in the funny pages! How the leg... ouch! Not to throw a wrench in your thoughts but KDX's are also very trail worthy too,
200 & 250...
See ya'll there!:cool:

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
PISMO!

Me and some friends have been talking about heading up there recently and I was curious about details of the place. How big are the dunes? How big is the area? Is it worth the drive up from San Diego on a Friday night to stay and head home on Sunday afternoon? What's the deal with camping? Is it just pull in and camp where you want as long as your above the hightide water line? Are there any comfort amenities? Campfires allowed? Reservations or anything? As you can see I'm looking for the complete guide to Pismo if anyone is inclined to respond. Thanks for any info!!!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
First, you couldn't pay me enough to ride a TTR-125 in the dunes even if I could ( I weigh at least 100# more than it...) It just won't have the power to stay on top of the sand.

Second, Pismo is worth the drive from SD - especially since Glamis is gonna be way too hot to ride this time of year. Camping is on the beach plus a couple of other areas in the dunes. Time your arrival for low tide so you don't have any worries about crossing the creek. Cover you bikes with tarps at night because the fog will drench it.

Brian

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Thanks for the link SpeedRacer.

We're thinking either the end of this month or begining of next. What are the temps. like up there this time of the year? I would imagine being right on the water it can get cold at night? Thanks for the tips!!

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
J. M. O.
just my opion... Pismo Dunes is very small so its not like Glamis I'm sure (never been there) A few loops and your done, back for a cold one etc.
Then it's all about beach camping, it can be very windy not like SD. Tents are a hard way to go, if I didn't have a trailer I would make reservations in town at motel.
If I had a choise between Kennedy Medows or Pismo only... I'de go KM but I'm going to both. It's about 21/2 hours from Ventura. Just go through town in Pismo and ask how to get on the beach with your vehicle or maps.com etc.
Good Luck!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Pismo Float

The last time I was at Pismo, I pitched my tent in what I thought was a safe location, and the charts said high tide would be at 11-12pm. I went to sleep, and awoke to the sound of the surf. Holy * , that sounds close! When I rolled out of the cot, and put my feet on the tent floor, I could feel that it was floating up (but dry - no holes). I went out, and could see the tide receding, but the tent was skewed about 30 degrees, and everything I had outside the tent had moved about 10 feet toward the water. :eek: I thought I was safe after that, but it happened again at midnight. It was no more than 3 inch deep water though.:D

Last edited:

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Sleeping wise I'll just toss a matress in the back of my Explorer and that'll be my mobil motel. How tall are the dunes? Is it worth mounting my paddle for it? How large is the area? I've heard you can cruise the whole place in one day. I'm visioning cruising the dunes during the day and if it gets old we can lock the bike up and pile in one vehicle and cruise through town. Is there a night scene in Pismo? Bars/Clubs? I'm thinking about maybe going up Labor Day weekend for the 3 day. Is that a big weekend? Is there a max limit to camping? I'm going to read through the entire Pismo Page to see if I can get all the details but some first hand experience is always great and very appreciated!!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Khris,
Pismo is not very big - you're never more than ~2.5 miles from your camp. And that's only if you're on the beach. Weather should be pretty mild - mid 70s max. I've never been to Glamis but there's reall no comparison from what I've been told. If you get bored with the dunes you could always go to Pozo (~1 hour away) and ride trails. Might be kinda warm but it would keep the boredom down.

I've spent more time at Pismo in my Jeep than on a bike. I could go everywhere in my street legal Jeep (V8, 33s) if I aired down and used 4wd. Spent more time in 2wd because it was more fun.

Brian

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
First, you couldn't pay me enough to ride a TTR-125 in the dunes even if I could ( I weigh at least 100# more than it...) It just won't have the power to stay on top of the sand.

GSR,
I rode my old DRZ400 at Pismo (breifly, before I launched it off a dune and broke my arm). :eek: Anyhow, it was paddled, piped and rejetted and I could still feel the sand suck out all the power when making a deep, hard turn. The TTR125 won't be much fun except down by the water. That's not a lot of fun and you really don't want salt water all over your bike. I'm really curious as to how well the 200 does... you got a paddle?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Try the dunes on a XR600 - felt like the thing wanted to go straight thru a dune instead of up it. Plenty of power, just too stinkin' heavy. The KX500 is muuucchhh more fun:)

Brian

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
William, yes I have a paddle tire. I have ridden a 125 at Pismo before but I never really got into the dunes much. I also rode my 125 at Glamis with little problem but again I never really got in to the really big dunes. We'll see how the 200 does if we go. I'm wondering what it's like out there on a 4-stroke. That compression braking in conjunction with the sand has got to be a killer! Can you say over the handlebars?! :eek:

Brett

Feb 18, 2000
Pismo Riding

I live about 25 mins. away from the Pismo Beach riding area. All i can say is that it is most fcun just after a rain with a paddle tire. I took my YZ125 with an 8 paddle and it did alright out there, need to keep momentum up and virtually never use the brakes. Lots of fun finding natural hits and seeing how far you can go because most of the time, not always, the landings are safer than that on a track..of you do go, watch out for people coming UP the backside,steepside (slipface) of a dune while you are going DOWN. :eek: or vice versa. Lots of fun on the beach although the speed limit is 15 mph, ride wheelies forever. Good idea to have a spotter at the top of a jump where u can not see over the top. People do get killed there from head ons, about 3 a year last I heard. I dont really reccommend going on memorial day, Labor day etc. weekend because it is sooo crowded and unsafe with all the drunk people driving in the dunes.

Top Bottom