Pissed off rider..

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
I seem to have a problem breaking clutch levers. Well and brake levers. I have gone through two clutch levers in the past two weeks. My crashes are very stupid and my levers break,some how when i have a big crash my levers are fine.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Try fastening the perches just a bit looser with a wrap of teflon tape under the perch so it will spin on a larger impact but not come loose while riding. Also make sure your lever ball does not extend beyond the end of the handlebar when pulled in. If all else fails http://asvinventions.com/levers_order/

J-man

May 16, 2007
they look dumb but bark busters have saved me hundreds in levers. i bent mine when i broke my arm a few weeks ago but man those things did great

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
If you don't ride thru the trees, Chili has your answer. In the trees, barkbusters are your fix. The last time I broke a lever was maybe 20 years ago (no barkbusters, didn't know the "not too tight" lever perch trick) Or... stop falling over (yeah, I know, it's always my goal too ;) )

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I also use the low clamp torque method. I tighten the top bolt then snug the bottom just a bit. I am able to move them with a light bump from my hand. I have crahsed MANY times and had the perches spin a quarter to a half turn. The teflon works good too, it will allow to run the clamp a bit tighter and still allow it move on impact.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Likewise, most of the levers I have broken have been from gentle falls, like the bike falling off the work stand....

I added the handguards which I am sure saved a bunch of levers, but I still managed to break some. On one enduro the first crash took out the handguard and then a later crash took out the clutch lever. Had to ride 10 miles of an enduro without a clutch lever, not fun.

Now I have the ASV levers. So far, I have wiped out another set of handguards but the levers are still okay! Two enduros on the same set of levers, a new record for me!

Rod

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
how do you guys do this? i've been racing mx for twenty-two years and i've broken a grand total of one clutch lever and zero brake levers. heck, i've broken more legs than levers.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
mx547 said:
how do you guys do this? i've been racing mx for twenty-two years and i've broken a grand total of one clutch lever and zero brake levers. heck, i've broken more legs than levers.

Do you ride trail and/or desert, or just the track?

The tracks I ride are all pretty soft, there just isn't much hard out there to hit.

One time I broke a lever out in the desert because I had parked the bike along the trail in a rocky section. The bike wasn't balanced properly and it simply tipped over. Of course a lever hit smack on a rock and broke off!

Failing to climb a hill has accounted for most of the broken levers. I am usually fighting my way up a very rough, rocky, steep trail. Rear wheel starts to spin so I slide back to get traction, then it gets a good bite and the front wheel lifts. Sometimes I can save that, but occasionally the bike and I fall back down the hill. I swear, the rocks are just reaching out for the levers!

The cheap levers break real easy and will not bend. There are more expensive levers available that will bend instead of break. And then there are the ASV levers that are not only made of a metal that will bend but they are "double jointed" so that they aren't subjected to the breaking forces.

Rod

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
Id have to say trail riding is a bit more complicated then a track. But thats only my opionion ,so who ever disagrees dont bite my head off.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Do you ride trail and/or desert, or just the track?

95% track. the only time i broke a lever was when someone ran over my bike after i crashed. the dnf cost me a ton of points so i now run asv's.

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
I tried the perch idea by leaving it kinda lose and i dropped the bike and it just spun no breaks yet. Id also like to say that Track riding takes a toll on you. Yesterday i went to a track for the first time, i jumped everything but if your not used to all that abuse it leaves you were i am, barely moving the next day 8(

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I agree, the track can wear you out really fast. On a typical trail ride I will encounter a lot of obstacles that challenge me but there will be a fair amount of seat time in between. At the track you butt isn't resting on the seat very much.....

Rod

xxjake149

Oct 2, 2008

AVS makes un-breakable levers. Also, loosen your clutch and brake a bit, so they will twist if your fall.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
mx547 said:
Jay, go for the broke levers from now on!

mcseman

Oct 22, 2008
I have bent and broken a few clutch levers myself. The best fix for me was a set of Cycra pro-bend barkbusters. I eat it on a regular basis in the stones and haven't had to replace a lever in the last 2 years.

Besides, now I have another place to put stickers! Don't they make the bike faster and more balanced?

mcseman

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…