jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
OK, so my '04 KDX220 just seized (will tear down just now), I suspect the piston skirt issue has come to haunt me :|
Any advice on which piston to use? and what process should I follow eg- renicasill, new piston etc or just hone?
Thanks
Joe

Daaj65

Oct 12, 2007
I have same bike. Used Wiseco's for replacement. Haven't had that skirt issue yet, just a horrible rattle that can't be found or cause isolated. Sorry for your luck, must be something in the air!

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
Ive been told that a mystery rattle on the kdx's is usually clutch chatter and can be helped tramendously by draining and refilling the case oil with one whole quart, my 2000 220 makes zero noise, ive been using one full quart, changing it about every 2 weekends since I got it a couple of months ago and is super smooth, no noise.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
Go with the Wiseco - the 220 OEM's tend to break at the piston skirt and grind into a million pieces. Unfortunately I know this from experience.

Fredette can get you up and running (clean out bottom end, new nickasil, and new top end + labor) for about $650.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
Feedback, it was the skirt all right, shattered on the inlet side! Ordered one on fleabay 'cause no one here stocks the 220 (only 200's), paid $86 is this fair? plus another $30 for shipping, Oh, and Fredette can't help me, I'm on the other side of the planet. Nicasilling here costs about $170
Cheers
Joe

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom