Piston install question

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Haven't done a top end for over 2 years and misplaced my manual. Which way does the piston face? One I have has no arrow on top. It's on my son's KX 85. Does the piston face forward with the two vertical pin holes and the oblong hole facing towards the carb? Which means the slots in the side marked with "in" go towards the back? Does this make sense? Is there a universal way to tell on all pistons regardless of mfg?
Also, how much play should there be side to side when you move the rod on the crank. There's just a little which doesn't seem excessive but thouight I'd ask anyway.
Thanks

Last edited:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
If you could send me a pic (or post one) I could probably help.

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Looks like forum administrator has disabled "img" so I don't know how I would get a picture to you. I've got two but can' t post them.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
mryance[at]hotmail.com

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
The ring locating pin is almost always on the intake side if that helps. Usually just off-center so that the ring end rides between intake port and transfer.

wilb67

Jun 28, 2004
The side marked "IN" is the intake side.(carb side)
You will have side to side play on the connecting rod but should have no play up and down or twisting play.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…