2004KDXRIDER

Dec 18, 2009
I thought that my I had mixed my oil/ gas mixture with to much oil so I decided to put more gas in the tank to even it out. That was the worst idea ever because after I did that I started the bike to let it warm up and about 30 seconds later it shut off. I then tried to kick start it again and basically the piston won't move it is stuck and I have tried everything to get it to move with trying to be gentle. So I have a 2004 kdx 200, and basically what do I do now? How do I fix it? how much will it cost? whats my best options? Any help here with any info will help me out tons!! thanks guys!!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
remove the head and then the cylinder..It might not be the piston, could be the crank..anyhow it may not be that bad , but yeah worst idea ever

i do it all the time with my weed wacker though..oil first then a little gas ..I like it to smoke heavy to keep bugs away from me

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I'd be worried about the cylinder and crank. Hopefully the piston stuck to the cylinder wall before the crank got hurt. Then you just need a new piston (which is a wear item anyway) and maybe a re-bore and re-plate or sleeve (which is worth doing once anyway, as that factory deposited tungsten isn't as good a coating as nicksil).

If its piston and cylinder, you can get everything you need for a premium 225 big bore conversion for about $500, or probably do it on the cheap for $300 or so.

If it's the crank, you will be splitting the cases. Not rocket science, but not trivial either.

jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
Hi mate oh that sound bad .This is why I sold mine to get a 4 stoke but thats another tale.
Did the bike sound odd before you stopped it ? by the sound of what you say it could be a piston that has picked up on the bore .The best thing would be to remove the head an see if there is any scoring in the bore if it's bad you might have a problem getting the cylinder off the engine.
It's not going to be a cheap fix unless your very lucky. There is one trick that you can try spray some light oil or WD40 in to the bore and then pour boiling water into the water jacket in the cylinder leave it a few moments and then try to rock the kick start over if your lucky the bore will open up a little bit and let the piston free up once it moves I would still pull the cylinder off to give it a good look over.
I alway worried about the oil in my KDX220 I only rode it once a week and alway felt that it might brake down in the petrol.
Good luck
Jono

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Well, if it was a 4 stoke it wouldn't be a $300 repair, it would be a $2000 repair. ;)

(you still have to put oil in a 4 stroke, just not with the gas...)

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
It would take more than running a little too lean on oil to kill your motor. I accidentally mixed my old style 32 to 1 oil at 72 to 1 by mistake, and rode it all day long before I realized why the bike ran so nice and smoke free was because I mixed the fuel wrong. I rode the bike another 4 years before I replaced the top end. The bottom end was still great. I suppose that if you ran it at like 150 to 1 something bad might happen, but generally most modern oils can be run at pretty high dillutions (50 to 1-100 to 1). Maybe it was something else that caused the problem for you, especially if you only ran the bike for thirty seconds. That isn't even enough time to clear all the oil out of your crank from the last time you ran it. :whoa:

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Ah, the old guessometer strikes again. Being a 2 stroke it should not be too expensive to fix even if you have really stuffed it. You may as well start pulling it apart and find out what's wrong. Start at the top and work your way down.

Top Bottom