steveva

Oct 26, 2004
I have a 97 cr250 that I just put a new top end in.. I replaced the piston with a wiseco piston kit.. the install went fine.. I went to break it in and that went fine as well.. after riding it for 30 minutes it started running "funny" So I checked everything out and found that the boot in between the carb and the intake had slipped allowing a substanial airleak.. there also appeared to be some dirt around the opening so I stopped riding and took it apart.. I found just looking through the intake at the piston 2 scratches on the piston, these were big enough to catch my fingernail in.. my question is as lean as it may have been running could I have done damage to the piston in that short of a time, and also what (besides dirt) could have caused the scratches?? My friend said something about diffrent size pistons A,B,C,D.. I ordered the piston kit from a big online company and they didn't give a choice excpet for the standard size.. thanks for any help or suggestions

Mar 12, 2004
Steve, I've never had a problem with the standard size piston and rings. The difference between an A & D cylinder is very small. The only combo that could create a problem is an A cylinder and a standard or D size piston and rings. FYI, you can order wiseco pistons A-D. If forget what they're called but they're not the standard piston kit. Something like "pro-line".

Top Bottom