bionnick

Oct 21, 2012
hi guys, if my piston is showing signs of blow by can i just change the rings and keep the piston or is it advisable to change the piston at the same time as the rings, thanks Nick.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The only way to make that determination is to inspect the cylinder and the piston. A worn piston could break causing catastrophic damage. If the piston shows wear on the skirts, you will likely needed to do a complete top end and maybe repair the cylinder. Provided the cylinder and piston are in good shape, then by all means replace the rings. Chances are probable that the piston will need to be changed as well, easier to do once than have to repeat in a month or two.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
The only way to know for certain if the piston needs replacing is to measure both the piston and the cylinder. If the clearance exceeds service maximums, the piston should be replaced. If the clearance does not exceed service maximums, you may safely continue to run it.

What signs of blowby does your engine exhibit?

EYY

May 22, 2010
If it's been run long enough to need new rings, I'd definitely suggest changing the piston at the same time. Piston kits are cheap insurance IMHO, and you'll get new rings, piston, circlips and gudgeon pin. Check te rod bearings for vertical movement too.

bionnick

Oct 21, 2012
the signs its showing is a brown burn mark below the rings its not much but its there, should the rod have any side to side movement at all?. it was last rebuilt in 2010 but i dont know how many miles its done since and im noticing there is a bit of a tapping noise coming from the top end :whoa:

EYY

May 22, 2010
What model is your Kdx? It might just be the kips rattle, mine does it and it's quite noticeable at idle. Did it go away when you revved it?
In that case, it probably wouldnt be anything to worry about

2morestrokes

May 19, 2012
If you have the cylinder off, I would put a Wiseco piston in it. Every 2-stroke I have ever owned has gotten a Wiseco, quicker revs and more power and they are bullet proof. If you go through the trouble of taking everything down then you will kick yourself if you don't just do it right with a complete piston and gasket set.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Unless your house is in forclosure or your kids are starving there's really no good reason NOT to replace the piston if you're going to tear it down anyway. It's like 40 or 50 bucks cheaper if you reuse the piston. That's two cans of gas. Oh ****, am I in the KDX forum again? :nener:

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
Change It!!

If your not sure on how many miles are on it, I would change the piston.It's already apart ,waiting to be done right.I just bought a 2005 KDX 200 with low miles.I plan on ripping my top end down after a couple rides .I mean,, I have to try my new toy first?

DoU420?

Dec 22, 2008
So, where would you get the complete rebuild kit for the piston, rings, gasket, etc., for my 1981 420? I don't mind spending money on a Wiseco.

Mike

DoU420?

Dec 22, 2008
THX bionnick, all they have are the nuts and bolts though. I thought maybe the rings were something that you could pick up generically. My compression was getting really stiff and then it would stall out like it was binding up. I popped the spark plug and put a capfull of oil down the hole. Then I hand cranked the kickstarter. We had used some starting fluid to get her going since she has been sitting in storage for winter and think the ether burned off the coating around the piston.

Well, the compression got easier (hearing that rings sometimes reseat when you lube them up and work the piston gently) then all of a sudden it locked up. And here we are. :bang:

DoU420?

Dec 22, 2008
jarin12ga said:
Try Ebay????Google it???

Google just gets you to the sites like the above link that just have nuts and bolts. Ebay is hit and miss. I did find the piston for 20 bux and a set of rings for 60 though. problem is buying used parts from around the world. You can see the wear on them and sometimes you get the same condition as what you're trying to replace.

It's all good though. These look to be OEM with the package. I still need a SKID PLATE if anyone has a spare ;) I've never seen it listed anywhere and as much abuse as my bike gets in rocky situations, it would sure make me feel better that I won't get a hole punched through the bottom of my crankcase with a lucky hit.

THX jarin12ga,

Mike

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
SOMETIMES! Google puts you to a seller or distributor for old parts???Just trying to help you bro.That bikes is going to be hard to get parts for I totally agree with what you said tho.I would not buy used either!!

Top Bottom