BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Anybody know where I can find a plier type piston ring compressor so that I can do the cylinder over the piston installation ?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm looking forward to learning something.....

A plier type compressor? I have a set of ring expander pliers...used for ring installation. I don't know what a plier ring squeezer is.

re: '....cylinder over the piston installation ?'

Don't know what this means, either. Normally installation involves having the piston over the cylinder? ;)

No, really. I don't understand.

Could you 'splain a little?

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
I find it easier (I think) to install the piston onto the rod. Then drop the cylinder over the top of it, then install the head.
After posting here I finally found the ring compressor I was looking for at Dennis Kirk.
There was no such thing as power valves (KIPS) the last time I did a topend, but here is the way I do it. 1) Install the piston onto the rod while the bottom end assembly is connected. 2) Wipe the inside of the cylinder with 50:50 two cycle oil and gas. 3) Compress the piston rings and drop the cylinder over the top of the piston. 4) Put the head on and finger tighten the nuts. 5) Hand crank the motor over twice with the kick starter to make sure everthing lines up and doesn't pinch grind etc ;) . 6) Then torque the nuts down and install the plug. walla....hope it starts
A standard ring compressor won't work because you can't install the cylinder over the piston and then get the compressor out. This type disconnects so you can get it out of the way.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=2818&store=Main&productId=p2818&catId=119&leafCatId=11903

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by BJH
BTW How the hell do I put a link in my post without that three acre web address?

To add the LINK look for the LINK looking thingy in the post reply tool bar (looks a little like an infinity symbol).

As for the cylinder and piston ring thing:  i have no problems using my hands and squeezing the rings with my fingers while i slide the cyclinder over the piston.  Never used any tools to compress the rings.  Are you sure you are lining them up correct?

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
I know you can push them together with your fingers, but I just like making things easier on myself.
BTW I don't see the "add link" icon. If it is in the "options:" bar I guess it is something you have to be a full subscriber to access. I guess I need to quit freeloading and subscribe ;)

Crispie0

May 2, 2002
I remember using that tool in shop class in high school. Thanks for reminding me. I'm gonna pick one up before my next tear down.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'I find it easier.....'

I presume that to mean you've tried the other method (installing the piston in the cylinder on your bench, leaving the wrist pin exposed, lowering the assembly onto the studs, pin the rod, !clip it! etc.)?

To each his own for sure. Messing with the rings using the 'pin piston to the rod first' method is hugely more difficult seems to me.

Guess that's why I don't do that!

The following should work for you. I've used '<' instead of '[' so you can see the characters.

The following will link to this thread:

<url=http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&postid=713037#post713037> CLICK THIS </url>

Or, generally speaking:
<url=link> text </url>

The example when posted will look like this:

CLICK THIS

Note the <b> </b> notations for bold display of 'CLICK THIS' are not necessary, and you can use any words you like, but if you don't delineate the link activation somehow, you don't see it until you hover your mouse over it...and that often gets missed by the person reading the post....so call obvious attention to the key.

Sorry for the digression. ...and I don't know that registered users do/don't have that option, so, yeah! Quit freeloading! ;)

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
One more furthermore (you can't insert pics on edit, so another littering post)

This is what it looks like...bet you see it too.

It's the <http://> button. Put your mouse on it and the dialog box will say, 'Insert a hyperlink into your message'. Which is what the attachment does say, but for whatever reason the re-submit I did with the hyperlink dialog displayed didn't 'take', even with a different name and size.

Oh well...you get the point?

Whew! Good!!

Please forgive the off-topic junk.

But...he did ask!!

Attachments

• drn reply format2.jpg
    drn reply format2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Goodson sells a set of ring compressor pliers that I like. They are just like the SpeedPro version.
Click for Ring Compressor Pliers

Kawasaki also used to have a setup like this listed as a special tool made by Kowa Tools, so you might want to check you manual for a part number, it may have a Kawasaki listing for one.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
In the old days seems like I remember using a big screw clamp to hold the rings in while I slipped the barrel down over the piston or maybe my grey hair is showing!

Top Bottom