Piston Ring pin Question

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
I was reading the wiseco catalog and they sell a GP piston for a 97-01 YZ 125 that is pinned on the centerline. The YZ has no bridge in the middle of this port. Doesn't a piston pin need to be run over a bridge, so the ring ends don't snag a port roof or bottom?

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Hi Joe,

When the piston ring is pinned on the center of the intake it can run on a bridge or in the open central port as long as the port has smooth edges. There is much less pressure on the ring at the bottom of the stroke because the cylinder pressure is down to atmospheric and cool unburnt mixture gasses spray past the ring ends and piston pin to stave off thermal stress.

Wiseco has offered the centered-pin feature to custom piston distributors since 1990. I've used it on my custom designs of 100,144,300cc pistons since 1994 and theres no abnormal failure rate. I've seen way more failures on pistons with off-set, especially like the type on late model 125s where the rear transfer ports are so wide that the ring rides the vertical edge of the port. That puts a lot of stress on the pin as the ring rattles from side to side. Typically the ring spin failure etches a rectangle pattern on the back sides of the rear transfer ports, it sort of looks like a chamfer pattern but its deeper and sharp. Its also common when the ports are widened too much with porting.
The Japanese manufacturers are already moving on updates to the OEM piston and cylinder design to include the centered ring design. Its standard on the 2002 YZ & RM125s
Happy 2002:)

Last edited:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Ah! Thanks Eric. That answers an old question in which I was told that the Rotax 250 tandem twin was run with a centre pin piston into a open boost port & I was convinced the guy had mixed pistons up with another model, so perhaps not. Coincidentally we dragged the bike out of the garage in the weekend after long hibernation to get it sorted shortly.

PS the engine is a 1980 so maybe the Austrians knew a thing or two huh?

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by David Trustrum

PS the engine is a 1980 so maybe the Austrians knew a thing or two huh?

That isn't the one Robert Holden raced is it? I have vivid memories of seeing him scorching around Wanganui on a Rotax tandem twin powered machine in the eighties.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Indeed it is. Well the engine is. The engine was raced in another frame by Robert & then put into a Australian made Ally frame. We have just dragged the bike out of a garage with a view to setting it up again & investigating the legality of Post Classic-ing it.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Sounds like you've got a real "keeper"!

Good luck with the project - I'd love to see it back on the track!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…