86dr100

Mar 21, 2007
im new to this site so any help would be greatly appreciated. i found an 86 dr100 and when i got it it ran for a few minutes then it started to die out and was pourin out a bunch of smoke. i was told it needed new piston rings. if this is true can any instruct me how to change the piston rings, as i am to broke to take it to a shop. thank you

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
A service manual will tell you how to change the piston rings. Also, inspect the valve guides for wear as that is also a source for oil consumption.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
86dr100 said:
i found an 86 dr100 and when i got it it ran for a few minutes then it started to die out and was pourin out a bunch of smoke. i was told it needed new piston rings. if this is true can any instruct me how to change the piston rings, as i am to broke to take it to a shop. thank you

You found a dirt bike????

Okay....

Is this a two stroke? If it is a four stroke then I would agree that it is in need of rings, valves or something major. If it is a two stroke it might just need to get cleaned up a bit, although the fact that it was in a place to be found suggests that it wasn't very healthy. The fact that it started is a good sign and that the piston/cylinder can't be too bad.

Before I tore it apart I would run a compression test. If you get a reading over 100 I would run it as is, at least for a while to see if there are any other issues.

Two strokes smoke. If you have too much oil in the gas they smoke a lot. If the bike has not been warmed up and run reasononably hard then the oil can build up in the pipe and create a smoke screen when it does finally start to heat up.

If the compression checks okay I would recommend starting with fresh gas and a known oil to gas mix ratio.

Rod

86dr100

Mar 21, 2007
it's a four stroke and it was out front of a drive way with a free sign on it. its a little rust i rode it down the stree 1 after it idled for a bit on the way back up the street is when it started to die out and smoke

86dr100

Mar 21, 2007
ive done a little reserch but dont know how to take off the camshaft chain and put it back thats what im worried about i dont really understand the camsfaft chain and cam shaft gear and its held on by two bolts connected with a metal piece kind of like a washer but shaped like a horse shoe on the cam gear. do i unbolt the gear to release the chain and take out the cam and the valves? or is there a way to keep the sprocket attached to the cam? if any one can help me past this step please.

86dr100

Mar 21, 2007
how do i get to the piston to change the rings?
sorry, i dont know that much about dirt bike engines im trying to learn.

86dr100

Mar 21, 2007
so what should i look for if its a carb problem? i was tryin to get it started and it sounds like it wants to go but it starts pouring out gas from the bottom of the carb through the hose

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom