Piston & Ring replacement - what about honing?

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
Hi:
I just replaced the stock piston on my KDX220R (less than 80 hours on it) with a Wiseco.

I did not hone the cylinder. I'm aware of the electrofusion coating on the cylinder.

When you guys re-ring without boring, do you hone?

Thanks!

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
Nevermind...guess I should have checked the archives first. Seems that most everyone says that honing will damage the plating. Nothing or slight swipe with a Scotch-Brite was all that was recommended.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
FWIW, I recently did the top end on my KTM. I had had it replated by US Chrome almost 2 years ago, so I emailed them to find out their recommendation. Their response was that unless it was a "diamond hone", and if it was in other wise good shape, to only dip it in a 20% Muratic acid solution and a bit of scotch bright clean up. That is exactly what I did - time will tell if it was the right way to go or not.

One thing that did impress me though, is my top end had at least 2500 miles (or more - maybe closer to 3,000) of riding on it, and it looked as good as the day I got it back from US Chrome!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
No, two sets of rings and two pistons. First was replaced after only maybe 1000 miles, second at that 2500 to 3000 point. (so had 1500 to 2000 miiles on it) First one was done due to the combination of some overly lean jetting, hyperactive right wrist, 2 minutes down in an enduro and a road section! (didnt damage the cylinder amazingly though).

when i tore it down recently, the piston was actually in pretty good shape. Rings way shot - compression was low. I really should of done the top end a while before then. I am still quite happy with the longevity of the cylinder plating though.

Top Bottom