circle

Dec 8, 2004
replaced the Piston ( Athena size B ) After a total rebuilt of the engine.
When I started the bike it started to rev pretty high because the previous owner had no slack on the gaswire ( I bought the bike broken)
I didn´t find why it had pretty high idle so I keept it running for about 10 - 15 minutes before I discovered that the 5th gear was broken.
So I took the engine apart (again :( ) and discovered that the piston had pretty much scratches on it, then I took the piston and the cylinder and measured the clearence to 0,045. So I bought a new piston( Prox size A ) because the cylinder is pretty new(about 5 h).
The piston had ran 15h now, so i wounder if I could use the Athena piston next time I replace the piston ? ? ?

Here is some pictures of the piston.
(Delete the space between the dot and the JPG)

home.no/ippe/1. JPG
home.no/ippe/2. JPG

Greatful for good answers.

sbohanon

Sep 9, 1999
the athena piston has a coating on it, probably to help breaking it in. just put one in my ride, c-piston with husky e-cylinder. i'll look at mine and report back. one would think if the scratches aren't into the aluminum you are ok.

sbohanon

Sep 9, 1999
circle, looked at the athena up the exhaust hole and it seems that all of the coating has worn off. this after about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. i would guess this is normal. there isn't much if any scratching that i can tell. funny thing however, it looks like some of the coating has filled the very small vertical scratches on the cylinder wall. i do hone the cylinder with every new piston but only very lightly to break the glaze and put back some of the cross hatch. your athena should be ok as said before; as long as the scratches are not in the aluminum. good luck.

Jan 14, 2005
You can use it again, The scratching on your piston is just the coating being rubbed off. I have a vertex piston in my yz250 and it too was all grey when i bought it . The old piston is all chromish and non of that grey coating. have fun riding

Top Bottom