PITA to start cold?

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Guys,

I've noticed a recurring problem trying to start my '00 KDX 200 when cold...it's a complete pain in the butt! I've tried just getting on and kicking it over, and I've tried the "slowly kick it over till you get compression". Either way it takes forever to start.
I'll kick and kick and kick with absolutely no effect (choke is on, no hit at all with choke off). After a bunch of kicking it'll fire and then die right away. Couple more kicks, and it'll fire, run a little longer, then die again. Few more kicks, fire, run a little longer, and die again. Repeat as necessary. Eventually it'll fire strong enough that it'll keep running. Revs spike, then drop down to the (kinda high) idle I've got it set at.
Once the bike is warm, it starts like a dream. 1 kick (or sometimes even just a 1/2 kick!) is all that's needed to start it up. When it starts it's a bit boggy until I get it on the pipe real good. That cleans it out (usually done within 50 feet of it firing), and it runs great at that point.

I'm running MOTUL oil @ 50:1 and pump gas. FWIW, I get some leaking/dripping out of the carb overflow tubes. This can happen both when the bike is running, and when it's off. Usually tapping on the carb will stop the flow. Are my starting problems in line with a float/needle that needs to be adjusted? Any other ideas?

As I've mentioned, once the bike is warmed up it runs great and is an absolute dream to start. But I'm beginning to dread those cold starts...

Brandon

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Try bringing in your air screw a bit with the cooler weather. During the summer, once I had a good setting, it didn't need much adjustment from week to week, or for cold starts. Now that its cooled off, there is a wider range between where it likes to be warm(~ 2 turns) and rich enough to fire up cold (less than 1 turn).

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Check your reeds.

Worn reeds can make an engine difficult to start. Are you running stock or Boyesen #607 reeds (or something else)?

Also - sounds like you need to do a complete cleaning on your carb and check out the float and float needle.

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
The bike has the OEM reeds, with very little time on them. Heck, I've *just* got the paint on the frame/peg area to start wearing! I thought of reeds, but they're just so new I have a hard time thinking they are the problem. I was told the kid I bought it from rode it 2 times, and from the shape of the bike and gear (both absolutely like new), I believe it.

The carb is clean as a whistle. I took it apart when I brought it home and did a thorough clean/soak/blow-out. The brass is shiny, and there's no debris in the bowl. However, while the carb is clean, I may have mis-set the float (hence the gas that dribbles out). I just used the old "float looks parallel to the bowl" method.

I *have* been leaving the throttle closed when kicking. Are we getting closer to a cause? Float? Do reeds wear out this quickly? The airfilter was clean when I bought it, so I don't think any debris went through the reedbox.

Brandon

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Jetting is probably the issue. Your pilot circuit is too lean for the cold weather. Short term solution is to adjust the air screw to make the mixture richer. Longer term would be to go one size richer on the pilot jet (or at least start there).

Last winter before I bumped up the pilot jet, I had a little starting drill that involved setting my air screw to 1/2 turn out to start the bike and then resetting it to it's normal 1.5 turn out position after warmup.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Lean your bike over to the side until gas comes out of overflow hose(only takes a few seconds). See if this makes it start easier. They will usually fire first kick.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Braahp
Lean your bike over to the side until gas comes out of overflow hose(only takes a few seconds). See if this makes it start easier. They will usually fire first kick.

I was taught this trick by Alan Randt. (Laffertys wrench and all around good guy)
Turn the gas on and lean the bike over til gas leaks out. Stand it up, put it in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth a few times. Put it in neutral, pull the choke, no throtle and kick it. Will start on the first kick.

The 3rd gear deal is to free up the reeds that have a tendency to stick open a bit when the bike is real cold.

It works. My bike never had problems starting in the summer but when it's cold it was hard to start even jetted properly so this may help you too.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
My KDX always started on the first kick, regardless of circumstance. Maybe you just need to practice technique a little. I know when I first got the KTM it was nearly impossible for me to crank but now it's a 1 kick deal most of the time. If the bike has as little ride time on it as it sounds, then practice may make perfect. Good luck. :thumb:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…