Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Well, its been a week since I returned from Pitkin, CO and I am finally getting around to writing up my ride report. Nine of us from Oklahoma City made the trip to CO for a second time during the last week of July. When we left out of Oklahoma City, the previous day’s temperature was at the 100-degree mark. When we arrived in Pitkin (13 hours later), the temp was in the 60’s. No problem, we will just leave the cabin door open and enjoy the refreshing, cool air. At 3 AM, I woke up and it was 30 degrees outside – who hooo! Anyway, we all loaded up early Sunday morning and rode about 70 miles (Napoleon pass, Taylor Park) to get the week started. The riding was awesome, although a little dusty. Monday came around and we found ourselves riding horseshoe trail and going down Tamichi pass (Yikes). Tight, rocky, switchbacks at 12,000 feet +! A few were tight enough to warrant me getting off of the bike, and picking up the back end and lifting it back on to the trail, than getting back on until the next switchback. Tuesday found us going river rafting through the Upper Taylor River (stage III and IV rapids). Excellent time and mucho recommended if you find yourself up that way. From there we drove to Crested Butte and caught a movie and ate some pizza. Wednesday found us exploring some caves and mines around the Pitkin area. Hard work, but some cool stuff to be seen all around (found some picks, old bottles, and miners cups). Thursday, a few of us went riding with one of the “locals.” The cool thing is that he shows up on his slightly worn Jack Piner\Penton KTM 200. It is the first one that I have seen in person (only 108 in the Americas according to the local). He proceeds to take the two of us on one hairy ride. Mucho single track, trail, mountain crossings, etc… The disheartening part was that after four hours of this, he commented that he usually rides the same loop in half that time (photo & catching your breath opportunities were mandated by us out of towners). Spent the evening soaking in the hot tub and working on the bike and then called it a day. Friday, we go and ride Fossil Ridge and see some more beautiful (although rocky) trails, beaver ponds, and clearings and then load the bikes up for departure the next day. Even with this being the second time in CO, I still find plenty of new reasons to keep coming back. We need to get a Heartland Spode trip up there sometime next year. CO has some of the most beautiful country to view, while also having some of the ugliest rock riding that I have ever seen. The differences are astounding, although challenging and ultimately rewarding. Coming back to Oklahoma, I already miss Colorado's highs of 85 and nights in the 30's and 40's. I keep clicking my heels together, but still find myself awake in Oklahoma.

Last edited:

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
Lorin,

Sorry I couldn't make it dude. Work got real hairy just before we were scheduled to leave. You know the rest. Glad you guys had a good time, I'm sure I would've really enjoyed the trails, rocks, and trees. HA! Anyway I'll catch it next year dude.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom