Places to ride in central Alabama

HGaither

Oct 23, 2000
Anyone know of any good riding areas in central Al. besides Kentuck ORV? How about any land for lease that has possibly had timber cut off of it and has a lot of logging roads ? Riding areas seem to be in short supply around here.

Krioni

Jan 14, 2002
Hey, I am also looking for any good places to ride in Central AL...

Supposedly their are a few in the Montgomery area, but I am not familiar with them. I am a new rider, so I am still looking.

Please post if you find any good places to go. I would love to get on a decent place to ride.

Thanks!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
There are several MX tracks in the central part of the state. Try www.almx.com if you like to ride on tracks. There are also tracks in Tallassee, Valley, and Huntsville.

There are several clubs that own or lease riding areas if you like woods. Clanton, Maplesville, Rockford, and Huntsville have some great areas to ride, but you have to be a club member or guest to get in. Some of the B'ham area dealers just opened a place in Jemison, too.

Check the SERA, SETRA, and NATRA websites for club links.

There is a Kentuck-style ORV park called Bankhead, (close to Cullman) but the trails are short and not very challenging. I've seen lots of trails next to I-65 in Warrior and Fultondale, but I don't know the story behind them.

The only free place I know of is in Helena (south of Birmingham) called the Bowl. It's not too bad, but during the fall and winter it looks like a 'Mad Max" movie. Ride at your own risk! :eek:

Krioni

Jan 14, 2002
Thanks for the info Julius.

I have heard of the bowl, and heard of how crazy it gets at times. I was thinking about going out there REALLY early one Saturday to see if I can beat some of the drunk teenagers out there and maybe get in an hour or two of riding.

Can you give me directions to the Bowl in Helena? I am on Highway 280 near Inverness, and I know how to get to Helena by traveling down Valleydale Rd. into Helena... I think you then take a left at Highway 52 (???) and I don't know where to go from there.

Thanks again for your help.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'll send you my #. Next time you want to go, you can follow me down. I know how to get there, but I don't remember the road numbers.

I live pretty close to you. I'm in Cahaba Heights.

Krioni

Jan 14, 2002
Cool, that's very nice of you to offer.

If you're in Cahaba Heights, I definitely live close... I live in a very small neighborhood off of Hwy 280 right behind Target, so we're just a couple of miles apart.

Thanks Again!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I wann a go. I haven't been there in years. I actually cut trails on the "Helena Loop" back in the mid'90s. I've just moved closer to where you guys live. I'm off of 280 in Broken Bow.

I'll need to round up all of my bike stuff (Bike & trailer) have been stored at other people's houses while I made the move.

Let me know when you guys want to go.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Welcome to the 'hood. Nothing sucks worse than moving. Glad you finished before I had a chance to offer my help. :)

I can't remember where the singletrack starts (or where it ends for that matter) but I'd like to give it a shot. Let's do it.

BTW, I still have two of your tie-downs.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Julius Pleaser,
David (WR400) rode Kentuck Sunday. He went to Talledega for a Wera event and took his bike. He said the trails were nice with alot of elevation changes. He said the only thing he didn't like was 2 way traffic. :scream: But he did say the trails were wide enough to handle it.
Have your plans changed so you can make TNT?

Scott

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'm still gonna be a no-show for TNT. I wish I could be in two places at once.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I'm still gonna be a no-show for TNT. I wish I could be in two places at once.
If ya gained a little weight ya could. I've been known to be in 3 or 4 places at one time! :scream:

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
First, all you Carolineans need to get out of this thread:p

There is a new riding park down on Rt 145. It has an MX track, 8 miles of single track (that is supposed to be good), and a bunch of two track. I can't remember the exact name but it's something like Waxahatchie. Most of the bike shops around B'ham should have flyers. I've never been riding there, but I see it on the way back from Clanton T and T.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Waxahatchie is the place in Jemison (or it might be in Thorsby) that some of the dealers have put together. I've heard it's not too bad, and it's only 10 bucks to get in.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I've heard it's not too bad...

And I heard it's not too good. But, that was from hard core single track guys. Either way, it's hard to get excited about 8 miles of trail.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Lemming
First, all you Carolineans need to get out of this thread:p
I'm sorry...were we interjecting too many multi-syllable words into the conversation? :moon:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…