MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Hi guys.. Im planning on getting a bike in the near future (just gotta go hunt down a good deal) and was wondering where I could go riding in the NY/CT/NJ area.. I live about 25mins from midtown NYC so Im looking to go riding in lower CT, northern NJ, and lower NY..

Where does everyone go riding in the area?

Thanks

John

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
A lot of people from NYC and Long Island head out to Paragon. Its about 2 hours from the city, but well worht the drive. I see you already found the thread for the May1-2 ride at Paragon, so if you have a bike by then, you chould consider joining us.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
2 hours isn't bad at all, and Im really excited about the meet in May (not too sure about the whole camping thing though, never tried that before).. I should definitely have the bike by then..

My main concern is/was really finding places and people to ride with.. My friend that has a bike had a problem with people to ride with.. His riding buddys sold their bikes and got street bikes, he bought a street bike too but kept his dirt bike and was left with no one to ride with..

I found a few places to ride..
http://www.atvny.com/home.html (I kinda worried about their rule regarding "the need for a stock exhaust, and 85 DB's at 200 feet" since I might be getting a 125)...
I also saw that e-town has a few courses, and some place near the NJ shore..

Where do you normally ride when you just want to do a day trip (is that even possible around here)..

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
MayhemInNY said:
(not too sure about the whole camping thing though, never tried that before)
Where do you normally ride when you just want to do a day trip (is that even possible around here)..

I don't do the camping thing either....Iusually stay at a motel. But they do have a good time at the campgrounds.
Paragon is my day trip usually. Its 1 1/2 hour drive for me, but well worth it.other than that, ther eare a few trails near my house, but nothing that is truely legal, just places the cops won't bother you unless they get complaints from the neighbors.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Scooter, I was actually checking out the local hotels last night.. One question about that.. What do you do with your bike at night when you stay at the hotel???

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
MayhemInNY said:
Scooter, I was actually checking out the local hotels last night.. One question about that.. What do you do with your bike at night when you stay at the hotel???

You have 2 choices.....I leave mine locked in the bed of my pick up, and have never had any problems. The motel i stayed at has a 24 hour security guard who I saw frequently walking the parking lot. Your other choice, I'm sure someone who is camping would be glad to take your bike to the campgrounds with them. They would probably even sleep with your bike if you asked nicely.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
scooter1130 said:
Your other choice, I'm sure someone who is camping would be glad to take your bike to the campgrounds with them. They would probably even sleep with your bike if you asked nicely.

Yeah, leave it at the campground. We need a bike to ride to the port-o-john. :p

Squeaky would like to practice her ghost riding too. :laugh:

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
rv6junkie said:
Yeah, leave it at the campground. We need a bike to ride to the port-o-john. :p

Squeaky would like to practice her ghost riding too. :laugh:

:think: Agh.. On second thought, I think Im gonna have to book a room at ground level so I can bring the bike indoors.. :)

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
You should check out Jack Frost mountain. Im out on long island and it's about a 3 hour drive for me so it should be alot closer for you. I know there is also a track in Conn. but i have never ridden there. Also, you are pretty close to the D-34 tracks, ace, diamondback, and claverack. They have open practices on the Wednesdays before a race at that track. Lastly, there is a track out on the Island, Island Motocross. It's pretty expensive though, $150 to join and $30 to practice.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Casper250 said:
You should check out Jack Frost mountain. Im out on long island and it's about a 3 hour drive for me so it should be alot closer for you. I know there is also a track in Conn. but i have never ridden there. Also, you are pretty close to the D-34 tracks, ace, diamondback, and claverack. They have open practices on the Wednesdays before a race at that track. Lastly, there is a track out on the Island, Island Motocross. It's pretty expensive though, $150 to join and $30 to practice.

Thanks Casper... I saw the website for the CT track.. Its about 1hr 30mins from me... Ive been doing a lot of searching and saw a few posts regarding Jack Frost and Im definitely down to check out the PA places.... Where are the D-34 tracks?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
MayhemInNY said:
Thanks Casper... I saw the website for the CT track.. Its about 1hr 30mins from me... Ive been doing a lot of searching and saw a few posts regarding Jack Frost and Im definitely down to check out the PA places.... Where are the D-34 tracks?

Ace and Diamond back are on the same plot of land. Ace and DiamondBack are in Modena NY, about an hour away from you i would say.

Check it out.

Ace Motcross
Diamond Back

Here is the D-34 website, it has links to all the tracks at the bottom of the page.

District 34 Website

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Unless you plan on riding mx only, I'd consider getting an enduro that you can dual sport. You will have alot less problems if you can go road-to-trail being legal. The metro NY area is NOT friendly to us off-roaders.
If you do get a bike, never let them register it as an "ATV". They will usually try to do that first.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Thanks for the link Casper...looks pretty good..

Wayne.. How difficult is that? I don't plan on doing any street riding, mostly hitting up Modena and possibly PA, Im going to stick with tracks and legal trails.. There is some woods near my house (just up the block) which I was wondering if I could ride on but odds are no.. And knowing the people that live around those trails county police would be called in a quick second (local cops aren't bad but I wouldn't mess with the county police)..

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Its not that difficult provided you have a NY title. If you somehow get an ATV reg, your screwed. It used to be alot easier but many states have dropped their dual sport conversion rules on bikes. I know all KTM's come w/ a title, but jap bikes usually come with a mso.
The purpose of being "streeted" is to prevent you from getting impounded IF you are caught/trapped on a trail. Ive seen a few CR250's streeted, and many KTM's. I wouldnt ride them to work every day, but if you were going for a quickie in the woods its better to at least have a street plate. Im not telling you to break the law but if your gonna ride trails here you might as well be as "legal" as possible. Its all up to you, whether your gonna ride tracks 90% of the time or if your going to do trails. My guess is that in White Plains, or wherever you live, you wont find alot of safe riding spots.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Actually the KTMs dont come with a title, they come with a mso that doesnt have that nasty "NOT INTENDED FOR HIWAY USE" crap printed on them. Try looking for a already titled bike. Check out some off the enduro clubs in your area there will likely be someone selling a bike with a title and registration.
Rob not Lissa

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Lissa said:
Actually the KTMs dont come with a title, they come with a mso that doesnt have that nasty "NOT INTENDED FOR HIWAY USE" crap printed on them.
Rob not Lissa

This is true, but in NJ that is all you need. I took the MSO to motorvehicle and had no problems registering the bike, and walked out with a title. And the 2 KTM dealers near me will both do all the motorvehicle work for you so it will have plates when you pick it up.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Hey wayneo426, where on the Island are you located? I'm out in East Setauket, between Stony Brook and Port Jeff.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
marcv125 said:
Thomaston dam....Alot of trails, and it free to ride..

TD could be a great place to ride if they made a bigger loop out of it. They seem to have the space and the backing of the Army COE. Unfortunately, you ride the loop in 20 minutes, tops, and your back in the parking lot!

Casper, I live in Huntington, but do some riding out near Manorville. There are tons of trails that go out to Quogue- we can do a 40 miler easy. But we're all streeted so it makes it easier to stay ahead of the "game". Shoot me an email.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
wayneo426 said:
TD could be a great place to ride if they made a bigger loop out of it. They seem to have the space and the backing of the Army COE. Unfortunately, you ride the loop in 20 minutes, tops, and your back in the parking lot!

Casper, I live in Huntington, but do some riding out near Manorville. There are tons of trails that go out to Quogue- we can do a 40 miler easy. But we're all streeted so it makes it easier to stay ahead of the "game". Shoot me an email.

I hear ya but it is a fun and somewhat challenging ride.. Plus its free...I can spend all day there. To me it is a great place to learn and meet people...check it out when you get a chance...If you go let me know they open in may..I would surely show you around..

Top Bottom