jefflesh

May 2, 2006
Ok, I have been away from dirt biking for a long time and I am looking for places to go for me and my family. I live in Michigan and I can not ride here because my youngest son is seven years old. I was looking at Ohio but I found something that states you can not ride vehicles over 40hp; my KX250 2-stroke and outlander 800 have more than 40hp so Ohio is out of the question. Does anyone know about Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Indiana, or Wisconsin?

Thank you all for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
jefflesh said:
I was looking at Ohio but I found something that states you can not ride vehicles over 40hp; my KX250 2-stroke and outlander 800 have more than 40hp so Ohio is out of the question.

Where have you seen this 40HP rule in Ohio? Is it supposedly for trail riding? I've never heard of such a thing and I live here and am an attorney.

Please provide me with a statute or citation so I can look at it myself.

There are plenty of 450f's and 250's and even 525's at my local tracks - all of these have more than 40 HP.

jefflesh

May 2, 2006
Robwbright,

Thanks for your response.

Site:Ohio State Park

It's towards the bottom of the page and yes, this is for trail riding. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Well, that's news to me, but it looks like things are as you described.

I'm not sure where you are, but I'm about an hour from Wayne National Forest and they don't appear to have the HP restriction:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/recreation_sites/orv.html

If I were you, I'd talk to one of the Ohio DNR guys that handle registration for the trail system you're talking about - I highly doubt they have a dyno on hand to check your rear wheel HP. From what I've seen on here, your 250 probably has low to mid 40s HP on a real world dyno, and I would not be surprised if they made exceptions or allowed 250 2 strokes.

Just because they make a rule doesn't mean yu can't get around it somehow. ;)

I have no idea about the Outlander 800, though.

jefflesh

May 2, 2006
Robwbright,

Thanks for your reply, I agree that the DNR will not have the equipment to test each machine that will use the trails but, I am sure that they have a master list stating the horsepower of each vehicle in its stock form.

I read the site that I posted again and I think that the H.P. requirements only pertain to ATVs, this is a problem for me because my outlander has about 62 H.P., well over the limit.

Also, thanks for the link, it looks like a good place to ride. I would like to take my family there and check it out.

Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Top Bottom