nzfred

Nov 22, 1999
I have just purchased a Yamaha y-zinger 60cc for a pit bike, the plastic is old and the surface has gone white and powderey.
Im intending to sand the white powder off and then apply plastic renew to bring it up to a new shine, however I have no idea what grit sandpaper to use, I dont want to scratch up the plastic so much that the plastic renew cant fill in the scratches.
Any advice on sand paper or other methods to get rid of the white powder would be much appreciated.

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
The plastic renew that I have seen comes w/ it's own steel wool for sanding.... Please post your results because I was thinking of buying some to see if it works!!! ;)

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
I have used it and think it makes your bike look retarded. From a didstance, it will look OK, but up close it is ghetto as hell.

Don't be cheap.....just go buy the new plastics.

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
:| Well, that sucks.... :ugg: I just replaced my plastic on my 2000 YZ back in Dec. Plastic still looks good but it has fine briar scratches that I was planning on trying to get out.... Oh well, I want black plastic anyway so this will be my excuse to get the black stuff.... ;)

ExoSphere

Jun 3, 2002
Well, I used it last year on my old CR and the results were really good. It is a VERY labor intensive process and most people want quick results. The instructions are pretty good on what gtits to use. FOr the deep gnarly scars use 220. From there go to 400 and then to 600. the key is that the plastic has to be wet sanded and take your time. Follow the instructions to the letter. I doubled what they recommended as for as number of coats. It took me a good 2 weeks to finish the work but was pretty happy with the results. But if you can still buy new plastic, I would recommend doing that instead. It's hard work and gas, simple green and other detergents ruin it. It is a great product of vintage/older bikes where new plastics can't be bought... but for newer bikes, new plastic are the way to go...

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I didn't have much luck with mop & glo. but that's just a personal assesment.

Although not for filling big scratches, after a wash I've been using Plexus.

Its available at your bike shop its in a black aerosol can. I use it mainly for my goggles and it is AWESOME for cleaning your lenses (fills the little scratches) and I even use it on my regular glasses (plastic lenses) for that alone is great great great!

But it also give my plastic a shot after I wash it and it gives it that new plastic shine!

Rod

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
One bit of concern though. If you flex the redone piece, it all crackles and flakes off, bringing you back to the dull nasty finish of the sanding.

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by Unit74
One bit of concern though. If you flex the redone piece, it all crackles and flakes off, bringing you back to the dull nasty finish of the sanding.

Are you talking about flaking after you use the plastic renew???? If so, that wouldn't be good for me cause I have the tendency to crash..... and crash often.... I'll just get the plastic instead...........

Top Bottom