Plastic Renew?

Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
has anyone ever used it? does it work good? im getting new graphics and seat and have a feeling the tank shroud etc will be pretty scratched up under the stock stickers, so the graphics wont sit well. i dont understand how it actually takes scratches right out?

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
The scratches come out with the wet sanding or steel wool. The plastic renew is basically a clear coating that makes the plastic shine. It will also wear off rather quickly and need to be reapplied. It works just like wet sanding paint on a car and then spraying on the clear top coat for the shine.

Jul 12, 2000
Sorry, just like paint there is no real way to "take scratches out" without sanding the surface area down to the lowest point of the scratch.

If you want to make it look good and save yourself some cash, use Mop-n-glow for the finish instead of Plastic Renew. Get some 600 and 1000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper and sand the plastic until the scratch is barely noticable (start with the 600, finish with the 1000). Then take a lint-free piece of cloth, wet it with the Mop-n-glow, and lightly coat the plastic.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
It's like 800,600,400 grit wet/dry paper, start off with the 400 and work your way to the 800,then steelwool, then clear coat.

It does work good,just takes time

by the time you need to refinish it, you'll have new scratches you'll want to get rid of anyhow.

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
I've had some success with a buffing wheel and a very fine compound. The scratches have to be sanded out first and you have to be careful about not letting the plastic overheat. Buffing make it a quick job.

Whoops

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Plastic renew can not be applied under stickers. It iwll not work. The easiest thing to do is to use a razor blade to remove the high parts of the scratches and then apply the tank stickers. For the most trick and long lasting application, follow the directions on the plastic renew and before you get to the step when you apply the chemical, apply the graphics/stickers. Then once the chemical is dry, the sticker is kindof "bonded" to the plastic.
Hope that helps.:)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Whoops
I've had some success with a buffing wheel and a very fine compound. The scratches have to be sanded out first and you have to be careful about not letting the plastic overheat. Buffing make it a quick job.

Whoops

This is totally the ticket guys. I dare say my brother the autobody guy pioneered it but it looks like his secret got out. The WHEEL IS THE DEAL.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…