Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
Hi there.

I was thinking of spraying my white color plastic fuel tank to some other color for ergo reasons. (DIY)

I heard that any paint will not stay on the external surface of the fuel tank as the plastic allows the fuel inside to "seep" through and cause the paint to crack or the decal on it to come off.
Any true?

Or is there a way to combat this?
Any advise?
Thanks.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
I don't think there is anything that can change the color of your tank like paint, because gasses from the gas escape though the tank and bubble up paint and graphics, I do belive miers or someone makes some kind of tank slip-on or something like that.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
there is a type of spray paint that works well on plastic and vinyl. However I too believe that it would not work well on a fuel tank. You could try a small area, say 5x5 inches and see what happens. I believe the paint can be removed with MEK or stripper.

Chris

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
There is a way to color the plastic. When I used to play lacrosse, I went to a camp where some of the people had their sticks dyed. The heads are made of plastic, so I don't see why you couldn't do it with a gas tank. To dye the lacrosse heads, the guys would get some strong dye from Wal Mart or K-Mart (can't remember name), and boil it in water with the lacrosse head in it. You had to leave it in for about a half hour or so. It was pretty cool.

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I did try painting plastic one time with automotive grade plastic paint and it did bubble on the tank after about a month and looked bad it also faded and scratched easy on the rest of the plastic.

Top Bottom