Plastics and Shifter ?'s

Plastics and Shifter ?'s (PICS)

Hey all, new guy here with a few questions. This Friday (15th) I'm buying a 1994 KX80 bored to a 110 for $220. It starts first kick and has aftermarket handlebars. No rear brakes(no disk for anything, just the bracketry and foot lever) and the plastics are quite scratched. The shifter is also broken off and the threads look badly stripped. This is basically something to fix up and throw in the truck so I dont have to haul me 4-wheeler around 24/7.

Soooo...Now the questions.

1.) Most importantly, how do I go about fixing the shifter? I'm hoping there no need to split the cases. If the threads really are too stripped to remove it, it looks like there are 4 bolts that hold on the carb and 6 for the side cover. Is that all I need to remove this or what?

2.) Where can I find decent plastics. I dont need anything special, I just want new green plastics for it to shine it up a bit. I've been searching for sites but nothing from this year is comming up.

BTW, nice site. I've been searching for a good dirtbike forum and this is the only decent one I've been able to find.

Last edited:
Bump...I'm going to tack weld the shifter on for now. I believe there is a seal in there for the oil so I'll be sure to dowse it with water and keep it cool.

I still need plastics though. I keep finding all these great places but they'r ein Europe.

94hardbody4x4 said:
Bump...I'm going to tack weld the shifter on for now. I believe there is a seal in there for the oil so I'll be sure to dowse it with water and keep it cool.
DON'T do it. You'll ruin the splines and have to split your motor to replace the shift shaft or cut it off to remove it later.
Just go out and buy and new shifter and bolt it on. They are only about $15-20 for a fancy one. They shift lever should strip before the shift shaft.

If the splines on the shift shaft are bad, replacement shift shafts aren't very expensive. They are somewhere in the neighborhood of $25. They can be replaced without splitting cases, you need only remove the right side cover.

Well, thats what I was thinking. The shifter is broken clean off up to the splines. Theres about 2"-3" max of the shaft still there. From a quick glance it seemed as though I'll I needed to do was remove the 4 bolts that hold on the carb and then take off the 6 bolts holding the cover on. However, I'm not sure if removing that cover would be considered "splitting" the cases. But the guy who owns it now still has the rest of the shift assembly so I'll see how far I can get with it.

I'll be buying it in 2 days so I'll have better info then. Mabey get some pics.

P.S.-Thanks for the site on the plastics, thats EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Once you put a weld on there, you won't be able to pull it through the bearings and will have to split the cases to remove the bearing with the shaft.

I'm not sure what is going on. It sounds like your shifter is broken, but the shift shaft is still intact. You wanted to weld the shifter back together, not weld it to the shift shaft. That's ok, but I would suggest just buying a new one. If you pull the bolt out of the remains of the shifter, the remains will come off with just a little prying and jiggling.

Ok, well heres the deal. I picked the bike up today and the shifter was already welded on and THEN broke off. The splines are to stripped to attatch anything to. I order a new shifter shaft, oil seal, and two gaskets (clutch coer and I believe the case). I dont know anything about dirtbikes(I'm a 4-wheeler guy) and certainly not 2-strokes. But the bike starts up first kick everytime and runs strong.

It seems that the shifter goes into the case, not the actual clutch cover. I've got a few mechanic friends so I'll see what the deal is with it. Also, the front forks are leaking when fully compressed. I saw the seals online for about $6.00. Whats involved in changing these seals? Remove and disassemble the entire shock?

Well, heres the pics I got while slacking at work. Notice the fuid from the fork seals and the shifter situation. Any ideas???

well I could be wrong here but It looks like someone put a rear wheel on that has drum brakes, but I can see that the bike had disk brakes originally so I don't know what you're gonna be able do do with the wrong kind of wheel/brake setup. thats still a pretty amazing deal for the bike though I wish I could find a bike that runs for 220. good luck with the new bike! :)

So it is in fact the shift shaft that is broke. I would go ahead and replace it, along with the seal. I'd figure around $40 in parts including the gasket for the right side engine cover. That wheel, that has to go. Keep an eye out on FBay or something, small bike wheels usually go pretty cheaply on there. You'll need the rear brake caliper as well. Those are harder to get used and expensive from a dealer. That's the fattest pipe I've ever seen on an 80.

Bike looks to be in pretty nice shape! Generally, you remove the clutch cover, remove the clutch basket, then remove the shifter lever off the shaft. Then you slide the shaft out and replace with new one. I can't really tell from photos, but if the old weld is still on the shaft, be sure and grind that area smaller than the original shaft so it will pull out without destroying the bearings. The main thing I worry about in these cases is damaging the bearings by trying to pull a jagged piece of weld through them. If that does happen, you will have to split the cases.
Fork seals are cheap and easy to replace. Good luck.

It did not have disk brakes stock. In this year I believe they had drums in the rear. There seems to be some sort of bracket(missing) that connects the brake lever to the wire.

I ordered all the parts for about $64 from a local place(I know they overcharged but I didn't feel like waiting around to get these parts). However I got a new shift lever off **** for $8.00.

And whats wrong with the back wheel?

The bike couldn't have had drum brakes originally because it still has the rear master cylinder and brake line. If it had drum brakes there would be a cable attached to the brake pedal.