Play bike or Race Bike or all Arounder???

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
I'm 35 years old and spent many great years riding and racing motocross. I've been away for several years minus a XR250l a few years back. My 2 oldest sons have XRs (50 and 70) and I need something to ride with them. I'm 6 feet tall and about 205lbs. I was thinking about a xr400 but I dream of one day (soon) heading back to a track and doing some "fun" racing. If I get one of the new 250 four strokes how would they handle the speeds that I would be riding at with the kids. ( Not to say that dad wouldnt be hitting the trail on my own once in a while) If you have any suggestions Id really like to hear them. Im also really not looking for something Im going to have to tear down every other weekend. Went through that a short while ago with my oldest sons KTM 50.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The new 250 four strokes are very versatile bikes and should be able to handle anything you throw at 'em. One note, the early release copies of the KXF/RMF had slow speed overheating problems, so if you are thinking green/yellow, make sure the bike has been modified. Do a quick search on this subject to discover all of the known fixes.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
A KDX will put along but can rip if you want. Just make sure that future racing is strictly fun racing. The KDX is a racable bike with a few mods though.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by TwoStroker
The KDX is a racable bike with a few mods though.

I use to think that too, until I got a KX. The KDX is great in the woods, bad (for the average rider) on the track.

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
Would a yz250f be able to handle some of the slower speed riding that I'd be doing. I really would like to do a few races for fun of course, and I miss the performance I used to get from my old KX250. With that said I think Im looking for an all around bike but having been out of "the loop" for some time I just dont know what that would be. I was told an XR400 might be a good choice but I've never ridden one and heard that they were pretty heavy. My street legal XR250l was a pig and was difficult to ride on anything but the simplest trails.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I think a KDX would make a better MXer compared to a XR400. A KDX can't compete to a KX no matter what you do to it. Thats where the fun part comes in. When I get older I might race a few, not pushing myself, just to see how I do(and have fun). I'm a 'below average' rider so the KDX does it for me.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If you ever want to race seriously you might look in to making a MXer trail ridable. It will cost more but you might have more fun at the races.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Yes the EXC's(200,250, and 300) are way more competitive on the track than the KDX but still have great low end trail power. But you'll pay a bit more.

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
I have thought about a KTM but was concerned about the above average amount of time required to maintain this bike. Are the bigger KTMs as fragile as our 50SX SR was. Also what is the biggest difference between these 3 bikes besides displacement? I appreciate your responses and did read up on the 200exc which sounds like an amazing bike. Would the MX version of this bike be a better choice? Is there a big difference in price between the 3 bikes. What MX class would you race a 200exc in? If its the 250 class would it be at all competitive. Yes Im racing for fun but its only fun if its going to be on par with the other bikes or at least fairly close.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Most people say the 200 is tamer than the 250 or 300. The 250 and 300 have more of a hit in the power band.

The class depends on where you race. Some places have a 125, 250, and 'open' class with A, B, and C; A being the best. Others have age classes like 20 to 29, 30 to 39, and 40 and up. Some tracks have both systems.

Anything from 126cc's to 250cc's two strokes race in the 250 class. But anything from 251cc's to 450cc's four stroke race in the 250 class too. And the 125's include up to 125cc 2 stroke and 250cc 4 stroke.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Oh yeah, a 200EXC would be competitive against your friends and neibors on 250s but not the state champ on a 125. It depends a lot on the rider. As for the bike it wouldn't do to bad for just a fun race meaning not seriously trying to win. But if you do act like you do it all the time.:)

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
Thanks again for the responses but the one thing that is really important for me to find out is just how reliable these bikes are as I may have to buy one a year or two old.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I ride an 03 CRF450 with my son on his XR70 - I consider us both to be only slightly past beginner... Only changes to the CRF include devol skid plate, radiator guards, acerbis guards, and promoto kickstand. I run the factory gearing and only occasionally have to pull the clutch to keep from stalling - usually on a tight downhill. For me these mods are required - the first 3 are obvious... - kickstand is necessary when riding with kids as they will want to stop and you can never find a bike stand when you need one (on the trail).

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
If your getting a 4stroke 250 then go with a Honda CRF. The engine is whatever you want it to be. If you wanna go slow it will. The YZF, although more powerful, was designed more towards racing and is not as easy to ride.

No probs with anything as far as my buddies are concerned. They have only had to fix what they broke by crashing. No mechanical probs at all. Same with YZF's.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
My 1999 KTM 300exc is the most reliable bike I've ever owned. It's more bulletproof than any of my friend's 4 strokes, never overheats, etc. I've heard those little KTM 50s can cost a fortune to maintain. I've also heard from teh same dads who worked on those that their bigger KTMs were amazingly low maintenance. Remember that if a 4 stroke breaks you're usually done, while a 2 stroke can usually still finish a ride even with a seizure.

BTW, the 300 is less frantic than the 200. The smaller bore bikes have to be ridden harder and shifted more to get the same out of them. The 300 is the most versatile bike built -- with simple jetting changes it can be linear and smooth like a nice 4 stroke or made to have a hard-hitting 2 stroke flavor. Also, the bigger the bore the less finicky they are to jet (seems backwards but it's true).

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by mxracer2000
Have you ever had any problems with overheating?

Not if I keep moving - even at a slow pace... and when we stop, I shut off the engine.

On a typical ride with my son (a few hours, mostly in 2nd/3rd gear and not in the powerband much) - I will lose some radiator fluid - just the amount in the top of the radiator fill neck (i likely overfill as i top off before the ride). Note that this is about the same amount that I will lose if i warm up the bike and take too long putting my equipment on...

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
Thanks everyone for your input. One of my initial choices is definitely out..the XR400. However I guess i have to consider how much actual racing Ill be doing which Im sure will be very little. That said the CRF or the KTM may be a very good choice for me. We are going to be having our annual Cycle Show here at the end of the month. Now at least I know what to be looking for. (other than the biker chic fashion show)
Thanks again...

Top Bottom