please explain a KLX - i have WR & KDX

robjamell

Mar 29, 2004
Hi guys. Can someone please explain to me how a KLX300r compares to a 1994 Wr250 & 1988 KDX200. I own the WR & KDX and I am wondering what the KLX is all about. Thanks.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
As you know, the WR250 is a YZ250 with a wide ratio (hence the WR) transmission and heavier flywheel. The KDX is…well it’s like nothing else in the Kawasaki line up.

The KLX is a four-stroke woods bike. It came in two displacements, 250 and 300. They are very heavy bikes. Like any bike, they can be modified to perform much different from originally intended, but at the end of the day it is an “old school” four stroke.

If you’re into woods riding, and you can get one at a good price, by all means get it. They are nice, bulletproof machines. Just don’t start a thread “how is a KLX on the MX tracks”.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The above isn't totally true since they're not "very heavy bikes". Granted the KLX is heavy compared to a 2 stroke but not compared to the 4 stroke trail bikes it competes against (Honda XRs and Suzuki DRZs). It shares some parts with the KDX and in fact the best way to think of it is as a 4 stroke KDX. Just as the KDX wasn't designed to compete with CRs and YZs (that's what KXs are for), the KLX isn't designed to compete against YZFs and such (that's what the KXF is for).

I had one for a couple years and it's a good bike that can be successfully harescrambled. The 6 speed, USD forks, liquid cooling, and perimeter frame make it a better XR250 IMHO. However, the lack of e-start makes it less desirable ot me than a KTM RFS, WRF, or the new CRF250X.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Ok, fair enough. There are a couple mods you have to do to make them work. First, uncork the airbox, just like a KDX, which is free. Next, buy the Stroker headpipe. The stock one was originally used on the KLX250 and when they opened it to 300 they never redid the pipe, so it's smaller than the port. Doh! Finally, spend $300 and put a pumper carb on it. Now you have a nice little thumper that is repsonsive and will rev to the rev limter, and is even a little easier to start.

robjamell

Mar 29, 2004
Dougroost - KTM?

I know a guy who is selling a 1996 KTM 300EXC for $1625. Is that a good price and how will it do for me, knowing what I already own?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The KTM 300exc is kind of like a better KDX or WR250. If you can have only one bike and need to do woods and maybe some MX, it's hard to go wrong with a 300exc. In fact, many have nicknamed it a "3 stroke", with Dirt Rider mag noting it's power is more 4 stroke-like than many of the modern 4 strokes.

Don't know too much about the '96 models, though. I do know the '99 was a great year (bike of the year that year) and that my next bike is a 2004 300exc. Try a search in the KTM/Euro forum to get some feedback and expected pricing. You can also check out ktmtalk.com and cycletrader.com.

Top Bottom