gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
Hey guys, today after I rode my 2003 KDX 200, I noticed that it was leaking dark black fluid from between the spark arrestor and the exhaust pipe. To me it looks like it is oil and when I ride for a few minutes it drips on the frame and wheels. It is not an excessive leak but it does leak and I am really worried cause I dont know what could be wrong. I was thinking that maybe the O ring is not sealed or something. Has anyone had this problem before and will someone please tell me what I need to do. I am not going to ride it until I get this fixed cause I just bought this used and dont want to cause any major damage to the engine. Please Help Me!!!
Also can someone tell me about the gas resevoir. What is a damping adjustment and how will it affect the ride. Please go in to detail due to lack of knowledge with dirtbikes. Thanks for your time.
-Paul G

captbly99

May 30, 2005
I had the same problem, it is just "spooge" leaking out from the fitting between the two pipes. I took mine apart and applied some high temp. sealant in the groove on the exhaust pipe end where the silencer plugs into it and I also put a think layer of the sealant on that rubber piece(not sure of the name of it) that goes over the connection of the two pipes. Then I put safety wire around the ends of the rubber thingy that fits over the connection. No more spooge leak :nod:

I guess maybe you might want to change/check your silencer packing too. While you have it off. I did, but it didn't really need it.(if you have an aftermarket silencer, stock doesn't have the packing)

BTW. I rode mine for a while like that because I was too lazy to fix it, shouldn't hurt anything, just a pain in the a** to clean off.

Good luck.

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
Yeah, Spooge. I don't know why, it just called that. It's unburnt oil from your oil/gasoline fuel mixture. Spot-on jetting will minimize it, but probably won't eliminate it. Maybe another brand of 2-stroke oil will help. When we ran 2-strokes I used Yamalube and jetted until I was blue in the face. That got rid of most of it. It will build up in your silencer and cause you to repack more often. Your suspension control depends on the flow of oil in the shock and forks. When the shock or fork compresses, oil is forced through a series of restrictive devices, one of which an externally adjustable screw. Clickers! These are found at either end of your fork or shock. They are called clickers because the have a detent that makes a click every 1/4 turn or so. The click helps you keep track of where the screw is set, generally recorded as number of clicks out from completely screwed in. The more clicks out, the softer the damping (ride). Less clicks out, firmer ride. I'm not sure about which gas resevoir you're talking about, I assume the one on the shock?

Top Bottom