Please Help Me!!

I just did an oil change on my RM85, and today I just went riding and when I shifted into first gear, with the clutch held in, it would sort of roll while the clutch held in. Could it be to thick of oil? it is 10w-30 synthetic( not full synthetic), should I use 5w-30? Please help me, I don't want to pay 400 dollars for a new clutch if it is messed up.

but before the oil change, it worked like it was brand new, it is barely a year old, I never pop the clutch. What i was thinking is that the oil is to thick and it is hard for the plates to move. plates cant go bad overnight.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
Sounds like the oil weight, maybe. Try riding it for a bit to get it up to running temp and then see if it still does it. If not, then the oil is it. Get it warm enought to put some oil between the plates and see what happens.

biglou

Elk is right. Cold and/or thick oil will cause some drag. You might change the oil out to a lighter viscosity, or adjust a bit more slack into the clutch, or live with it.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
I've always run 10-40 in my RM and haven't ever had a problem. I usually use the Chevron stuff from Costco believe it or not.

a454elk, my engine size is 85cc though, I saw that yours is a 250. Saying that, I think I should use something thinner than a 30 weight.

Last edited:
I dont have my manual, we bought the bike from my dads boss who lost the manual. What the heck do you mean by "LOGIC"???

RM85rider123 said:
I dont have my manual, we bought the bike from my dads boss who lost the manual. What the heck do you mean by "LOGIC"???
Logic is when you use your brain to analyze something and come to a conclusion. You have implied that since your engine displacement is smaller you need a thinner viscosity oil. I'm look for the steps in your analysis which leads you to make that jump. I've never heard anything like that. If it is good sound logic, others will concur or validate your wag, undoubtedly.

here's a fer instance, on applying logic and known facts. Go down to kx137/jaybird's explanations.

It may tell you what you were thinking.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=115524&highlight=oil+viscosity
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=97754&highlight=oil+viscosity

Last edited:
You'll be wanting to buy a manual. If you love that bike, it will be your bible from here on out. The bike won't survive without it.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
I know that my manual suggests an 80 weight but when I do, it shifts real hard and doesn't seem to ease up unless I ride it like it's on fire. It's obvious that the oil caused the problem from what you say. Run it with what you have in it and see if it loosens up. When I first start my bike, it's rough on the take off too. I've heard that RM clutches are that way, but I can only say this based on what mine does.