2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
I went for a ride today! it was awesome fun! but... now I have a problem.
symtems: the bike started idling really low (barely high enough to stay running,
Its smoking like crazy! but not fouling plugs... I don't know if the two are related but I am hoping so.
Do I need to get all new jets, or can just lower the needle a clip of two?
Is it likely that my crank seals just started leaking...or does that usely happen when some one takes it apart and doesn't put new gaskets in?

P.S I am going to get a new spark plug just in case.

thanks in advance!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
most likely to be the clutch side seal or the reeds...
check every thing mechanical before jetting, or maybe end up with a wreck engine :nod:
you might want to do a compression check, or visual check on the top end also

yes, old used gaskets could not be able to seal properly... i only use them in places that don´t have pressure (clutch cover) if every thing is ok...

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
thanks! I will check to see if its burning trany oil.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
I just checked and it did not burn any of the trany oil.
The bike has allways smoked a little to much, but now its really bad.
yesterday was the warmest weather I have ever rode my KDX in...could that cause it to run a little richer then normal? If so can you aswer this queston?
can I just lower the needle a clip position or two? or should I get some new jets?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
2strokesrock said:
can I just lower the needle a clip position or two? or should I get some new jets?
yes you can, the needle controls the mixture from 1\4 open throttle to almost wide open...

warm weather cause rich condition, but not smoking like crazy... unless there is a very big variation of temp.

the best you can do is check the bike first, and read some of the links on jetting and learn to do it yourself. there is the spanky jetting guide that is very good, and this
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=60392&page=1&pp=20
and http://www.eric-gorr.com/carb cleaning and jetting.pdf

this is very good info... :cool:

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Thank you so much! I would love to learn to jet my bike. I will read that and I'll tell you how it turns out if you want.

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
when was the last time you repacked the silencer? I had an older bike that started really smoking. It turned out to be extremely old packing that was actually burning! I know it sounds stupid, but check it out.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
I just cleaned out the spark arestor, but I can see how that would be possible.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
one more question: do you use old HEAD gasket? if there is a leak your engine is burning coolant...

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
helio lucas said:
one more question: do you use old HEAD gasket? if there is a leak your engine is burning coolant...
I have never taken it apart. I am pretty sure its not burning coolant be cause the smoke is VARY blue not white.
I really don't want to mess with my ratio.
I adgusted the needle and it seems a lot better...I am going to put a new spark plug in and do a little test.

thanks for all the help!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom