CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I am in desperate need of some encouragement...or actually a swift kick in the behind!  Most of you know that I am a muscle car nut as well as a dirtbiker.  I have always had to basically choose one or the other to focus on, because of $$ and time involved in both.  We hired a new engineer recently that has a '65 mustang and he has really got me fired up on cars and hotrodding again.  The last few weeks I've been visiting Camaro and perf. parts sites more than DRN.  What's wrong with me!? :scream:  But what's REALLY scary is that I'm actually considering selling my bike in order to get back into hotrodding!  I keep weighing the benefits/consequences of both, but can't get one to out weigh the other. :(   But the more I think about it, dirtbiking has more consequences than hotrodding.  When I say hotrodding, I mean - adding finishing touches to my '69 Camaro (17" wheels, 9" Ford rear, Nitrous, and then cruising from time to time, occational trip to the dragstrip/car show, and semi daily driving).  The major consequences of dirtbiking (to me) are - enormous amount of prep/maintenance envolved-both time and $$, time spent away from family, traveling expenses and mileage (thanks to DRN ;) ),  inherant possibility of injury.  I have been riding since I was 5, so the pros of riding will always outweigh the cons, but I'm having a hard time getting the pros of riding to outweigh the pros of hotrodding.  Actually, the only time in my life that I haven't had a bike, was when I was building my Camaro.  As of now with riding, working, going to school, and being active in the Church, I have zero time to spend around the house, and zero $$ left to do anything with.  I realize that may mean that I have my priorities out of whack, but if I rearranged anything, that would mean I wouldn't ride at all.  I would hate to loose contact with so many friends I've made through DRN and would miss so many things, if I got out of riding.  But at the same time, I miss alot that is involved in hotrodding.  I have a $15,000 investment that took me 2 1/2 years of my life to build, just sitting in my garage, wasting away.  What do I do?  Am I trying to cram 10 lbs of poopie into a 5 lb bag?  Any of you older / wiser guys have any advise?  Anyone else have to pick and choose between hobbies?

B

biglou

Does hot-rodding have "The sfc crash" show? If not, the choice is easy!

Seriously, where else can you get to see this living, breathing, traveling freakshow we call DRN? (and I mean that in a good way...) ;)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by BigLou
Does hot-rodding have "The sfc crash" show? If not, the choice is easy!

That is a good point!  You missed a good show when we were walking back to the car in St. Louis!  I think Sarge attempted a back flip...and failed miserably!  I couldn't help it, but I lauged my...I mean, I was very concerned for him. :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've got way too much going on myself. I really like riding trials, but I also really am looking forward to finishing my new bike so I can ride with my son on his XR80. Then there is the MG sitting under the car cover that hasn't really been driven more than 25 miles in 4 years that I need to finish replacing the interior in but might strip down and paint first. Oh and then the boat that hasn't been wet in 2 summers because of the new house which still need lots of landscaping and stuff done. Let's see then there is always TaeKwonDo classes a few days a week for my son and he got recruited for select level soccer so there's 2 practices a week and a game each day on the weekend half of which are travel an hour or more away. I've considered giving something up but enjoy all of them. I figure they are all paid for so as long as I can use them and get enjoyment it's worth keeping them all. The wife really likes the boat and doesn't ride (yet :debil: ), The kid like all of it and I really do to. I figure if I didn't have to work I'd be set :confused:

I've seen pictures of your car and it's really sweet. Why not keep it and upgrade as time and funds permit? Keep the bike you have and ride when you can. I know I'll never be an A level rider in trials or off road because I don't dedicate enough time but that's OK.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Corey, I didn't even read you whole post because I got the point right off the bat. I know what you are going through. I juggle my time between family, music and riding. I also juggly my finances with all of those. Here is the deal. I say ride the bike while you are young and you can still move. Then when you retire and all your bones ache, work on the hot rods.

In the mean time.....to fix this problem, sell me your Camaro.

Cheap.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Choose Bike.

Drive the grocery getter to the grocery store a couple of times every week. The Corvette my father gave me needs control arm bushings, a new power steering pump, new rotors & pads, and new carpet. I just took delivery of a new carb for my XR50, so that should tell you where I stand on the issue. ;) I'd like to have another BMW or Jeep Wrangler TJ, but I really need a new bike.

As long as I can creep down to the local tavern or burger joint (or grocery store) in the Vette, I'll forgo any improvements.

The Camaro sounds like a nice ride. Can you post any good pics of it?

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Here she is.

Attachments

• 69cam.jpg
    69cam.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 161

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
It's about 95% finished.  I've entered it into 5 car shows and won, one first, one second, and three thirds, and a "visual perfection" award, all with the car unfinished.  It has a stroked 327, TH350 w/2500 stall, and 3" Flowmaster exhaust.  I think I've driven it about 200 miles in the past 4 years, and started it twice last year. :(

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Corey,
I had a '68 many years ago. Stainless crank, cammed, roller rockers, 375 heads, holley quad, etc...It was a real nice ride. I gutted the inside, installed a roll cage, installed a fuel cell, cut out the fenders, mounted weight jacks, quick-change rear, and took it to the dirt track! I had many folks get sick when they saw how I destroyed a perfectly good 'maro. Oh well, we must set our priorities!
Asphault, bad...dirt, GOOD! :)

If I were in your predicament, Corey...I'd ask Lonnie what he thought.
Couldn't hurt to ask the wife and the Lord as well.

Last edited:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Wow - that's a sweet ride. Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like you've spent enough money on it already. Some 17 inch wheels would be killer, but I'd leave the rest alone. :confused:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hi Corey! I think T-33's advice is spot on (dirtbike while you can still move....blah blah. Just ignore the part about selling him the Camaro...)

You're young, things might change in a few years financially, then you can have the best of BOTH worlds!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
DAMN Cal....  You have my favorite car and it's my favorite color as well.  If I had that beauty... the trailer, YZ, and kid's toys would be on the back patio instead of in the garage.  I'm speechless.... It's.... well... Screw it!  I'm jealous! :thumb: :worship:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks for the advice...and compliments!  Makes a guy even more proud of his "creation". :)   And Natalie...I always ignore half of what Jamie says. ;)

I talked with my wife and my dad last night.  The wife had mixed feelings.  She know how much both mean to me.  My dad said NO WAY!  He said he wants to continue riding while he can (he's 48), and then he'd be ok with giving up riding.  That aspect was playing a big part in my decision.  Riding gives myself and my dad some good quality time together.  On the other hand, hotrodding would too (he has a '55 Chevy post that we need to start working on :aj: )  Anyhoo, as of now, I'm keeping the bike.  BUT I think I'm going to cut back on my expenses towards the sport.  I think I almost burnt myself out last year.  We rode pretty well, non-stop all year.  I think we missed about 5 or 6 weekends total.  I may limit myself to riding every other weekend.  I just have a hard time saying NO when someone asks, "we riding this weekend?"

Jay - My Camaro has never been in rain...you think I'm going to put it in the dirt!? :scream:

JP - 17's would really set the car off!  Here's what it would look like with 18's.

Attachments

• red_69_18s_big.jpg
    red_69_18s_big.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 117

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Since we're talking Camaros...

Here is what you Don't do to a '69 Camaro, 2 months after you get it on the road!  I lost control while in a second gear burnout (3 speed tranny), and hit a tree. :|  :whiner:   Talk about a 17 year old worrying about his father killing him... :eek:   But you know what?  I did a better burnout than the mustang that had just pulled out! :silly:  (it seemed like the thing to do)

Attachments

• wreckcam.jpg
    wreckcam.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 113

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ouch! I can feel that all the way out here. It's hard to say what to tell you to do. It's all about what YOU want, not what we think. You go to a car site and they'll say dump the bike but when you ask us, we say, do what makes you happy.;) There's a fine balance between doing both so you have to find it. You sell the car and will regret it later and visa versa with the bike. Both have their advantages so I say keep both.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
......____
__//_/__\_____
/_/-\_|___|_/-\_|
__()_______()_______

Reminds me of my pimp '74 Fury III..

sorry, I used as much restraint as I could. :confused:

That's a nice ride CAL! It's awful hard to decide I imagine.. I will offer some different advise as to what's been done already. Sell the bike, put riding aside for awhile, and do what your heart tells you. Don't sell your gear though! Chances are that you will be jonesing and it won't be long before your heart is telling you to get another bike.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
That's what I'm talking about. The Torque Thrust IIs look terrific on early GM iron.

I have a friend who builds some nice cars, but he always chooses some butt-ugly crack dealer wheels and ruins the look. His current ride is a triple white Firebird convertible with 16" chrome swirly wheels on it that looks like concentrated ass.

Thanks for having good taste in cars AND wheels. :thumb:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
call me old school, but I think a pre-70's Camaro should have rally wheels and redline tires.

But that's just me . . .

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Redlines?  Oh man, that's not old school, that's old junk! ;)   I do like the 15x8 ralleys, but the new 17x8 or 17x9 ralleys are smokin!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
N50's and Cragers!

(big ole Hoosiers are where it's at though) :thumb:

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
N50's and Cragers!

Cragers! I haven't heard of those for some time! You need a Kraco stereo too Corey lol. Throw some Mickey Thompsons on there and you'll have a real time machine man :yeehaw:

But to the question at hand - I have purposely avoided this! I won't offer advice but I know I would sure hate to lose you as a riding buddy :(

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Damn Cal--I'm a Mustang gal myself but that's a nice Camaro!! I would slowly save up enough for the FEW extras it needs, and keep the bike. I think it looks great as is, but having played the car project game, I know it's never finished.

I wouldn't give up riding, it's a much more immediate, intense form of adrenaline gratification than hot rods. At least you HAVE one--I've just been drooling over the good deals I keep seeing in the Car Trader. Why is it when you have no money, you can always find a sweet deal, but when you are ready to buy, there's nothing? :think:

As for wheels--either Torq Thrusts or Cragar Rally S/S get my vote. I had Cragars on my 69 Mustang, Mom has Torq Thrusts on her 68 GT/CS California Special. It was all I could do to talk her into getting 15s--she wanted to keep it stock (14s). Gak.

It's a sweet looking car but don't give up bikes. You will be sorry.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
man that is a sweet Camaro! I am in the process of rebuilding the 427 in my Chevelle. Hope to be on the road by June

Top Bottom