Please Help need to lower bike some..

Ledain

Feb 20, 2005
Hi there i just bought a 2002 yamaha yz250 and i wanna lower the bike like 2 inches or so. This is my first bike and imm not sure the best way to go about this....I noticed alot of people are saying adjust the sag on the rear shock....I saw the ring around the shock but im wondering how do you adjust it? Do you need a special tool to move the rings up and down? Also if i lower that down wont tthe front of the bike sit way higher than the back?I just wanna get an idea on how to adjust the height...I am on my tippy toes trying to hold the bike up and just an inch or 2 would help so much so starting out Please give me some ideas for easy lowering of the bike..Also i heard about cutting out foam but that seat doesnt even look thick to begin with.

tjswigger

May 31, 2004
The best way for you to lower the bike would be to decrease the seat height.Mark the outside of the seat with masking tape to remember the place you sit the most.Start by narrrowing the padding in that areawith a sharp razor blare or I have found an electric knife works great. Put the seat back on without the cover, sit on your bike and see if that works.If you need to lower it more carve away some of the padding on the top of the seat,just a little at a time and see where that gets you.
Some things to remember are start where the seat is lowest.There's no need to remove more padding than is necessary.There's not enough there in the first place .Only remove little amounts at a time.It's not easy to put it back.Try to blend the area you have removed the foam from into the rest of the seat so that when you do put the cover back on , it looks smooth with no holes or gaps under the cover.When removing the old cover work slow if you intend to use it over. Pull out the staples carefully with minimal damage to the cover itself.However new seat covers are only around $30 .
You can adjust the rear sag/preload a little.They make a tool or use a large pair of channel locks.You can raise your front forks up a little in the triple clamps 1/4 inch is a good starting point as the higher you raise them the more you affect the handling of the bike.
Hope this helps you some!

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
You're not the first person to find a 39" MX seat height a little on the tall side. First, do a search up top using the term "lowering suspension" and read for a while.

What you'll basically discover is that while there are several ways to get your feet closer to the ground, the best solution is to get your suspension lowered internally. And if you're going that route, you'll want to first determine if the stock spring rates are in the zone for your weight. Playing with the sag to compensate for ride height is not the solution. I'm sure some other folks more knowledgeable about tuning will offer a better explanation. I always budget an extra $500 when I buy a new or used bike to go toward suspension work, whether it be revalving or lowering, because I'm a smaller and lighter than average person, and the stock setup doesn't let me ride to the best of my ability.

Ledain

Feb 20, 2005
Ill take a look at the seat foam but it just doesnt look like there is alot i can do with it but first i gotta figure out how to get the damn thing off..I didnt get an owners manual and im new to bikes it looks like it should slide backwards but i gotta mess with it some more

Ledain

Feb 20, 2005
After taking the seat off and sitting on the bike it looks like cutting foam is my best option cause you can get a good 3 inches or so out of it. I was wondering if i took off the cover myself if i could get it loooking good again with just a staple gun and some time....I dont want wrinkles and stuff in it.

Top Bottom