Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
Hello everyone. I have been having some problems with my clutch lately it just seems to be slipping when it gets warm. So I pulle the plates out and checked them and they all seem to be the right width. The transmission oil seems to be black but I don't know if I am being paranoid or what it also smells a little like gas. Now I know the crank seals can be to blame for losing tranny oil but would they allow premix to get into the tranny oil?? I am hoping not. It's not a huge gas smell just kind of smells like a hint of it and oil and gas are both petroleum products so I imagine that might be why.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
What color was you tranny oil when you put it in? Or what brand is it (some people will know what color that brand should be)? How long has it been in there? Have you tried changing that oil? Most likely, the friction discs need replacing (.1mm may very well make a huge difference) but you might try changing the oil first. I am not even addressing the possibility of gas contamination, somebody else can.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
well I change my oil every 1-3 rides. In this case I rode about twice. Using Belray 75W before and now I am using yamalube 10w30 transmission oil.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The change to Yamalube could be the problem. You should not see any extra smoke by changing the oil, but a faulty seal could let oil into the bottom end (thus causing extra smoke). The tranny oil in a smoker is, and should remain, isolated from the engine parts, and should never reach the combustion area. Next time you change the oil, try going back to the Bel Ray. If it doesn't return to normal, then you probably need either friction plates or springs in the clutch.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
the volume of oil coming out is less but there is also a leak that I just am starting to fix as of about 2 hours ago. Just waiting for my gasket to come in tomorrow. But it is leaking. Going back to my main question if the seal were leaking would it allow gas in??

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
that's what I was thinking. I don't think that the fuel would make it to the clutch but I just wanna know if it's possible.

Jun 22, 2007
i have a crack in my case, and that leaks a whole lot of oil. i use 70w and have no problems at all. i just take the oil screw out before everyride, if oil leaks out of the screw hole, im all set to go, if it doesnt, add oil until it does, and again, then im ready to go and ive been fine doing this.

Top Bottom