Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
Please Help! Very Confused! clutch problem!

PLEASE HELP! AHHHH damn clutch is driving me insane!!! :bang: here's the deal. 1990 yamaha yz 125. new clutch cable, new boss clutch, new pressure plate, new (stock) springs. ok, basicly i cannot seem to ajust the clutch release arm right! its been drivin me nutz! finally after 3 days of trying to get it to not slip, i got it to not slip, the only problem is when i put the bike in gear, it wants to stall on me. my guess is its already slightly in gear, but if i ajust the arm, or the cable more slack it will stall, if i ajust it the other way, less slack it will slip! im totally stuck and need help! any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED! thanks!
-Tony

Last edited:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Is your clutch basket ok? Did you replace the friction plates and the metal plates?

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
no i didnt, the metal plates, are those the silver ones? they have blue marks on the top, is that normal? and the other ones are ok i belive, they dont seem to be warped or anything. but i just got a new basket and pressure plate. and also, it sais in the manual that the clutch release arm is suppost to be in-between the two case marks, even with all the slack on the cable i cannot ajust it to sit in-between them, the cable wont reach, and its a brand new cable.

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
I know that if you saw bluing on the steel clutch plates then they need to be checked for run-out and if OK rough them up a little with some sand paper. Did you soak the friction plates in oil before re-assembly?

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
no i didnt, was i suppost to? and wouldnt rubbing sand paper on them be bad? and what is run-out? would that cause the problem i am having?

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
sorry for the double post, for some reason it didnt let me edit my previous post: questions i have: in the owner manual it says the clutch release arm is suppost to be set inbetween the two case marks on the engine. i dont have enough slack to reach the release arm, even with all the slack i can get on the cable. i am using a honda lever if that matters? could that be it? also, if the plates are worn out, would that cause it to space apart like that? if im missing/have wrong plates in wrong positions would that cause anything? all i really need to know at this point is how i can get the cable to reach the clutch release arm. thanks
-Tony

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
Sandman,
I have the answer for you. If your plates turned blue (the steel ones), they are toast. That is a sure sign of excessive heat which in turn causes severe warpage. You will never adjust the clutch untill all plates are replaced. Bummer eh?

Mark

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Replace your metal plates and friction plates and also the springs. Kits are sold for under 100 $. Had problems with my clutch too and it sucks! Good luck :cool:

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Sand_man said:
Thanks! They also do seem to be warped, is that the problem im having with the cable reaching the clutch release arm in the right spot?

Hard to tell anything from those pictures but the plates look trashed. For less than $100 you can have a complete kit with new plates and springs so I'd replace them. Also the plates have nothing to do with your problem of getting the cable to the release arm, check you cable routing to make sure you have it going the correct way from the lever all the way to the release arm.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Your friction plates are toasted! Notice how they are black (their original color is goldish). Replace the springs and metal plates also.

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
ok, thanks guys!, any idea on why i cannot set the release arm right? the cable is routed correctly, it has to be because the matal peice at the end closest to the release arm fits into the hole, but the cable just isnt putting out enough cable to reach it, even with all the slack i can get. do i need a new cable, or could it have somthing to do with the hand lever? im not using the stock yz one, im using a honda one. even when i do get those new plates, i dont want to burn em out again because i couldn't set it correctly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom