mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
Hi everyone,
Heres the story, i wanted to get back into riding 2-strokes so i found a 1988 cr125 really cheap, i went and looked at it, guy said it was running perfectly fine until he dumped it over on some rocks, the rock busted the plastic left hand side cover that covers the magneto and the rock busted the little pulse generator, its the peice that sits over top of the magneto and picks up the pulses from the spinning magneto. He said all it needs to run again is the pulse generator, so i bought the bike and got the part today, put it on and still i have NO spark at the plug..So im stumped and dont know what to replace next..he said the last time the bike ran was last february, a year ago and has been in his garage ever since. What would it be guys?
HELP!!
thanks!
chad

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
i would like to test the components but dont know how..also, how do i get the magneto off? please tell me there is a way to get it off without the special puller..?

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
mopower440 said:
...please tell me there is a way to get it off without the special puller..?
I'm afraid there is no other alternative :( But, the special tool is very inexpensive.

Mar 1, 2005
my advice would be to first buy a service manual. it will explain what components you need to test and what the resistance values are.you will also need an ohm meter to test the electrical parts. also visually check all connections for busted wires,loose or corroded connections.when you reconnect the wires put some dielectric grease on the connectors to help keep out moisture.

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
well, i have an ohm meter and want to figure this out tomorrow, anyone tell me how to test each component and what the values need to be? also any ideas why when i replaced the part that killed it, it still doesnt spark, meaning, would the pulse generator getting tore up cause any other specific peice to go bad?

Top Bottom