plug fouling at high rpm!

mooneye777

Feb 7, 2003
i have a 2000 kx 125. it starts, idols, and runs great, until you really crank into it, then it fouls the plug in about 3 seconds. any input on this matter would be appreciated.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Have you added anything that would of effected your jetting.. pipe, filter so on. If not is this a resent development? If so it could be the right side crank seal is starting to go bad. But then again it could be as simple as a loose coil bolt causing lose of ground at high RPM's or a bad plug cap. Is your filter clean? So check the easy thing first.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Are you warming it up completely before revving it? If not, you may be cold fouling the plug. Wait until you feel heat in the rad and then try it.

mooneye777

Feb 7, 2003
i have not added any mods to the bike, it is bone stock.the filter is brand new, the plug gap is right on. and the bike is warmed up before i ever climb on it, but it is cold here right now about 35-40 degrees. i will check my coil tightness next, thank you!

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Maybe the winter gas makes your bike run too rich. The fuel around here is made differently in the witer and you need to LEAN things out even with the colder weather.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Most winter gases have oxygenates(MTBE or ethanol) which would make it run lean. If i remember right the 2000 still had the keihn powerjet carbs on them and ran rich off the top. It had a 160 mainjet. Try a 158 main or even a 155. Try that first. That should cost you around $8.00. If its still real sooty, just like rusty demon your right seal is going. Try the obvious first. Also my KX had a major problem warming up in really cold temps, when I was trail riding. If your not on the pipe on that bike and I mean really on the pipe (WFO). The bike will always sputter.

Erik

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…