G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Sorry to bring up plugs again, but any talk of resister plugs makes me wonder..

I don't run a resister plug on my USA '91 200. The manual says an R plug is only speced for the Canadian and UK models, or am I mistaken?
So is the resistor plug just a '95-'01 thing?

Also I thought I was done with my pre-season maintenenace and setup until I took off the mag cover and 1/4 cup of oily gas spilt all over my knee.

I pulled off the stator, and took a while to figure out that 'funny looking rubber boot' was really just the crank seal blown inside out. The spring was riding on the crank but luckily hadn't grooved the crank.

This would be the first time I split the case for any repair, so I'm a bit concerned; spcifically about tips, tricks, etc that the manual may be missing. I think I'm convinced to do the job myself because I can be thorough, take my time and give every part an inspection. I aim to get a few more years of trouble-free use from this bike. I have reservations about the thoroughness of most bike/truck/boat 'service', but would like to hear what you think.

------------------

[This message has been edited by G. Gearloose (edited 04-17-2001).]

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
the seal can be replaced with out spliting
the case its just a little tricky geting
the old seal off but the new one will pop
right in with a little tapping

your plug prob a resister might make your
bike run a little better because it wont
interfer with your cdi box like a non resister dose

------------------
2000 kdx200 2000ktm 50sxpro jr
1983it250
alexis il

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I have been told by my rough mates that the bodge is to drill & insert self tapping screws into the side of the old seal & lever it out. Or you could try coaxing it out with some fish...

------------------

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Thank you for your replies fellas!
Looks like I'll try to open it up if I can score a case splitter & jig, if not I talked to the local dealer and they didn't rush me out, talked over their methods so my confidence in them is higher than it was.

It appears the mag side has metal lips overlapping the seal bore, making extraction from the ourside impossible unless metal was ground away, but thats just too close to the crank to attempt with the dremel.

Just wish I found this while it was still snowing! ;)

------------------

Top Bottom