RECENT POSTS

plywood

Joined
Mar 16, 2007
Messages
471
Likes
0
#1
so I built a dog house for my dog today out of some 1x6 boards and some plywood. I didnt notice it when I first bought the plywood. but now after the thing is completely finished. I notice a strong like vapor coming from the wood. It stings my eyes. I dont know if maybe I am allergic. I had the kids crawl inside and see if it bothered them and it didnt. 3 different kids, ages 10-16 all crawled inside hung out for about 10 minutes and it didnt bother them. But the smell/vapor coming from the wood bothers both my girlfriend and my eyes. Anyone have any idea whats going on? I dont want to put my dog in ther if its going to sting her eyes too. The plywood was said to be "water resistant". dont know if that would change anything. Maybe its some sort of chemical sprayed on the wood? Is it safe for my dog?
 

oldguy

Always Broken
Joined
Dec 26, 1999
Messages
9,422
Likes
0
#2
Green and Brown treated lumber is sprayed with a preservative that can be harmful to humans and dogs if breathed in. Allow the doghouse sufficient time in the sun to dry out and then paint it with a good primer paint and that should seal the vapors in. If the dog is a chewer though I would be hesitant to continue allowing him in it
 

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Joined
Jun 20, 1999
Messages
2,563
Likes
0
#3
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
I notice a strong like vapor coming from the wood. It stings my eyes......I had the kids crawl inside and see if it bothered them and it didnt. 3 different kids, ages 10-16 all crawled inside hung out for about 10 minutes
Gee, thanks Dad! LOL
"Hey kids, come here and tell Dad if this sulfuric acid leaves red marks on your skin like it does mine."

Like it was already mentioned the wood probably has that odor because of the treatment. It will still continue to off gas until the vapors are gone. Painting it won't stop the off gassing, but the good part...the vapors will be gone after being outside for a while.
 

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Joined
Jun 20, 1999
Messages
2,563
Likes
0
#4
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
Is it safe for my dog?
Sorry, I just reread it again and caught this part. LOL
"Kids, go in there and huff these fumes and see if you pass out. This way I'll know if it'll hurt my beloved dog."

BTW Hubert, don't take this personally. I am just looking at how it sounds when I read it. I am not trying to question your parenting. :cool:
 
Joined
Mar 16, 2007
Messages
471
Likes
0
#5
:rotfl:

Well I built the thing just in time for here to have her pups. I was up all night last night helping her have the puppies. Than in the morning I ripped off the stinky wood and red built the walls. everything should be ok now. :nod: