ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Just finished licensing my old CL350 scrambler, and have it running reliably and pretty well. Couple of questions though... At higher RPMS (top gear on the freeway at 60ish, spinning maybe 6000) the bike surges noticably. The point gaps are set correctly. This isn't a fuel flow problem as far as I can tell... That was a problem on one cylinder, but that has been resolved... Could the condensor be causing the surging? It runs fine, and works great, maybe the surging is just normal, and something to live with... any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Jim Johnston

Jan 20, 2005
freeway surgeing???

Your condenser is not the cause! Here are two things to check.
1) Check to make sure the gas cap is venting properly
2) Raise the bike on the center stand. Rotate the rear wheel and check for a fluctuation in chain tension. Believe it or not, worn sprockets can create the very symptom you are describing. Good Luck :ride:

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Might be a little lean on the carb needles too. Chances are it runs good pulling up to that rpm, but once you establish a cruise, the surge starts?

I find that I back the throttle off quite a bit once I am at the speed I want to hold and that puts the throttle opening solidly on the needle.

It's pretty easy to lift the needle a click, give it a try.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Roll through the entire maintenance regimen.
It is amazing how well these bikes will run in a poor state of tune.

johnnymoto

~SPONSOR~
Nov 9, 2000
I see you have gotten some good advice and here's one other thing that you might look into later if you want to go this route. You can go to www.bore-tech.com and check out their honda 350 stuff for 69-73 hondas. I have a 73 CL 350 and in the future may change over to the electronic ignition that they offer. It list for $259.00 but you will be finished with points. Good luck. moto

Top Bottom