DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
Well, I'm buy no means a good rider and don't have much experience except for Stillwater, but a buddy of mine and myself decided with alot of persuasion, to check the Poker Run out.
Couldn't leave Mannford (just west of Tulsa) til 11am and had
to tear the road up to get there, but we made it just about 1pm.
Unloaded and went to check in and of course the bud's bike wouldn't start. Switched plugs and still wouldn't start, so he stayed and went to get me a punched card, just to say I made one! Finally his started and after the first lap and halfway through the second he hit a LARGE rut (so did alot of others I saw, one to the point he broke the bike in pieces), anyway his bike wouldn't run again and I had left my belly bag at the truck, so we left him to finish the loop and catch him back on the second trip. Well, finally we got to him and changed the plug and it started, went about 20 yards and fouled again. To make a long story short, we went through 6-7 plugs til we got it running and I rode it in hair-a-fire
(well, as fast as this old man can go on a bike I don't know) and
got it in. Course when we got in, the run was over, we didn't get a punch for the last loop, no cards and the card game and prizes were already over!! Oh, well!! Gotta stay with your buds in trouble!!! (course might have left him had it been for a trophy!)
HAHAHA. Great ride, for me anyway, good trails with some mud and tight stuff and some open stuff. I'm learnin!!!
See ya!!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
It was a good ride. It was really fun zipping through the trees. It was a little slick in places, but overall a very good day. It would have been a great day if we could've gotten some more miles in. By the way you forogt about the time you decided to stop and rest, rather abruptly, not even taking the time to lean the bike against a tree or anything, you just let it lean right against your leg.:p

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
This was a fun ride. Fabulous weather for December. Smitty brought his brand spanking new SEE ARE EFF. Got some good ole red mud on it. He offered me a ride but I declined, he hasn't dropped it yet so I didn't want to break it in for him.;) Actually, I didn't take a spill at all.:) Some of the Heartland Spodes just wait for it but I let them down this time. Having air in the front tire helps to prevent unplanned plowing.
The one big mud hole on the north loop provided a pretty good laugh for DavTys and myself. We let another guy go around us and about fifty yards, he was in it, the bike wasn't. Needless to say, he followed us the rest of the loop.
Great ride guys, we gotta do it again.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
It was a great day for riding! Last year was cold enough that you didn't want to stop. Had to keep moving/exerting to keep warm.
This year- turtleneck T and jersey was toasty. Trail conditions were perfect.. there were a couple of slick spots, but this IS trail riding. ;) I really enjoyed the grass track stuff at the end of the loop. As it passed by the parking area it was WO on the long straight. I got into 6th, but nowhere near topping it out.
I got lucky on that rut spot. My first time through, there was a couple of guys pulling a bike out. It forced me into the alternate line, which I decided was the best line. Nest loop, DavTys and I hit it first, alternate lined it through, then stopped where we had a good view. Lonnie(?) dropped into the main line, looked like 2nd gear, when he saw the step-up at the end of the rut, he gassed it. He didn't get the front end up and it looked like he hit a wall! Wham, he ended up kind of hanging over the handle bars, the rut kept the bike upright. (I never realized what a sadistic group we were until that moment...)
I had a biff-less day myself, although I looked pretty stupid several times:scream: The most notable was when I was leading the charge, got kicked sideways by a root, did a good ragdoll imitation.... then heard Justql giving me the what-for, as he had the perfect spectators view of my brush with death.
All in all, it was a perfect day. Got some slow, medium and fast riding in. I wouldn't change a thing!:)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Boy, I wish I could remember that Craig. I was having a ball I would catch my self yelling yippy, for no real apparent reason.:confused:

Top Bottom