Police handling of Dirt bikes in Baltimore

The topic of illegal dirt bikes has been done before, but I saw a story the other night on the news where some officers were happy about seizing 8 dirt bikes from where they were being stored.

They mentioned a change in law that allowed them to go right in and grab them without a warrant or anything. "Since they are illegal anyway".

If I lived 2 miles east I would be in the city. DOes this mean I would be breaking the law by simply owning a dirt bike? Could they kick my shed in and take it?

Ok, the 8 they siezed probably were not in some poor slobs garage, they were probably in an abandoned building or something but still it makes me a little uneasy.

Also, and this is really what led me to post here tonight: THe officer in command was asked what became of the dirt bikes. He stated that the ones that were in poor condition were destroyed. The good ones are rounded up and put into crates and shipped to developing african nations for use by missionaries!

I nearly choked on my drink! I can just see some preacher ripping up the countryside in a dark robe on a KX250 with a bible under his arm! What the hell?
A noble purpose? I dont know but heres what bothers me about that:
THe officer never said a WORD about attmepting to locate the rightful owners of the bikes. Let's face it, most of the bikes these city kids are running are stolen. Do they figure if they were stolen from the city that it doesnt matter since they are illegal anyway? The border between Baltimore city and county zig zags all over the place, and Im sure that alot of "legitimately" owned county bikes get stolen and wind up in the city.

So they were urging the public to give anonymous tips regarding the location of dirt bikes in the city.

And if you live in the Baltimore metro area and got your bike stolen, Its probably over seas by now!

I really need to look up the laws, and see jsut what they say. I dont see how they could say it's flat out illegal to own a dirt bike.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
DRN has an upstanding member who happens to be one of Baltimore's finest. I would love to hear what he has to say about this before I give my 2 pfennigs.

Uhh... it's supposed to be illegal to won one? Something is missing here.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Not illegal to own one.....just to have it within the city limits. You can own one but have to store it outside of the city.
Heroin capital of the east, but dont bring in any of them dirtcycle things :flame:

It is illegal to have your Bike Stored in your own garage in the City Limits??? Something is out of wack here??? Don't think the city has the power to outlaw owning a bike or having it in your garage... Is there more to the story? Maybe the Police are recovering the stolen bikes?

-dc

jmics19067

Lifetime Sponsor
Are you supposed to drive around the city if you you are say heading from Philly to Budd's Creek?

dang that town is lame

You have to store it outside the city?!?! Jeezus!
I imagine theres got to be some racers in the city limits.

Can you imagine, they have to rent a mini storage or something?

Yeah, actually my Father in Law is a high ranking member of the city police department. Next time I talk to him Ive got to ask him to clear it up for me. He has taken my oldest son on a tour of HQ before, and my son told me about the cage FULL of bikes. Sad really. Its like abused animals or something. I want to open a farm for abused and abandoned MX bikes!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
in all seriousness and no offense intended but why would anyone live in a screwball place like that?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
Heck, Jay...look at CA!

mxer842

Subscriber
i dont get their logic behind outlawing bikes, do they think were going to go mad max and terrorize the city on them? its in the city so you clearly cant ride them, so why not be able to store it in your own garage? does this mean there are no dealerships or parts stores in all of baltimore?

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
The drug dealers must be using dirtbikes to escape from the police. If you think about it, a thug on a dirtbike could easily get away from a police car.

That's the only reason I can think of for outlawing them.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
I can see confiscating one being illegally operated on the road or being used in illegal activities but to kick in garage doors and steal them from owners who have done no wrong is criminal. Any cop that enforces this law in such a manner should be crated up and shipped to China where they belong (along with the goons that passed it).

mxer842

Subscriber
"Considered loud and extremely dangerous, the Baltimore City Council outlawed dirt bikes because they were used for illegal purposes such as drug running. The bikes have also caused crashes and have been involved in deadly accidents, Simms reported. "....your right they cause accidents, no lets put this behind us and ride down main street in our giant friggin SUV's because those are much safer.

so they outlaw dirtbikes because they are loud and dangerous.you cant ride them in the city legally as it is!!!! outlaw dirtbikes and the drug running will stop right, no then the drug runners till some sportbikes and the cops are really f***ed.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
I can understand the City Council's stance. I don't agree with it, but if you watch the video, it's clear that the bikes aren't being taken from law-abiding citizens.