stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
As a dad who's looking to make an upgrade from an xr50r to a better bike, I like all the information I get when I view the little 50cc KTM bikes. I get wheelbase, travel, horsepower...yadda...yadda.

The Polini website has none of this. Why don't they post that information? If they do, where is it? It's not on the Polini site.

Thanks,
Bob

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Stormer,

I have found Polini specs HERE . Just keep clicking on the bike you're interested in and you'll get there.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Not the important specs though, like the ones I was looking for in the original post. They give the most minimal of specs there, like 28" seat height and 10" wheels. None of the good stuff like Horsepower, wheelbase, travel...etc. Like KTM does. I'm gonna pick up either a Polini or a KTM, and I'm leaning toward KTM (based on Polini's miserable site). I like knowing how little horsepower the bike has that I'm looking at, and the wheelbase that I'm interested in buying (around 40") makes it easier to drive for kids.

I know what I'm looking for, and Polini isn't helping me out any. I have no interest in the Cobra line either, I think they're ugly (just my opinion).

These other 50cc bike makers should take a look at KTM's site... That's how you sell bikes to dad's. Polini may make a good bike, but they sure don't give any information on their site. Shame to, my daughter likes the Polini colors. I don't care that the bike is fast, I just care that it fits her abilities at this time, and is sized right.

Bob

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by stormer94
Shame to, my daughter likes the Polini colors. I don't care that the bike is fast, I just care that it fits her abilities at this time, and is sized right.

Bob

I don't know the specs either, and I looked for them as well. But when I whatched the little guys on the Polinis, the hit was much faster and harder than the KTM's. I bought my son the Husky 50 Sr, because it is right there with the fit and finish of the KTM (minus the Liquid Cooling), the power is almost identical, suspension is very comparable and it was also cheaper. Plus they have the Husky bucks, and that comes in nice, even if it is only $20.00 a race. But I'll take it. I took my son off a PW 50, before putting him on the Husky, and I can tell you I'm glad I didn't put him on the Polini, or Cobra, after the PW. In my opinion, I don't think he would have been able to learn the proper way to ride (like body position, weighting the outside, braking technic, etc.) while he had the death grip on the handle bars. I really think the bike has helped him in learning proper technics, while going fast at the same time. Granted, he does get beat by the Polinis, and Cobras, but that is only because of the drag race from corner to corner. But, I just feel more comfortable (until he gets some more years of experience) seeing him on a bike that doesn't strech his arms back and giving him the death grip, when he whacks it open. I could probably move him to the Polini next year, and have both of us feel comfortable with it. But with the contingency program, and being able to to do some mods to the bike. I think I'll just keep him on this one until the 60 class if he wants to continue on. Let her look at the Huskys, they got some blue on them. And they help on the dads pocket as well :)

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Craig,

You the same guy that does the world record speed stuff?

Where do you find a link to the husky's? I'd sure like to look at them. (I dig all the little 50's, cute buggers.) :)

thanks,
Bob

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Hey Bob,

Go to http://www.husqvarnausa.com and then hit the 2001 lineup, and when you get there, it will have 50cc modle lineup to click at the top. They now also have the $200 "Mini-Bucks" coupon redeemable for gear, apparel, parts & accessories at your local dealer. I wish I could have got that:(
They might not go into specific detail like you want (horsepower, rake, trail) but it does give just about everything else. They are a good bike. I haven't had any trouble. And like I said before, the contengency program is cool. And where we race, there are no other Huskys, so that makes it that much easier to get the check. I don't know why no other parents have gone this route. Mabey they are worried about the quality of the bikes or something. But whenever we first got the bike at the track, everyone couldn't believe how well put together they are:eek: Let me know when you purchase whatever you get, and how it turns out.:)

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Bob,

I'll measure the wheelbase tomorrow, and get back with ya. As far as horsepower #s, I don't know for sure. But if you know what the KTM's are, I would say they are very very close, because I am buddies of one the other riders dad we race against. And we go out and all ride together. And when the 2 boys go drag them they are neck to neck. But as you know one of them might not be full throttle or something. But if both of the boys really do have their throttle to the stops, they are evenly matched. And both of the bikes are stock.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Bob,

Wheelbase on the Husky Sr. is 39.5 inches. I also noticed that when I was checking out the website when I was looking for a bike for my son, they listed the Husky Sr., with a front drum brake. When in fact it is equipped with a disc on the front. Hope this helps. Email me if you need any other info.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
got a reply from husky

I posed the 50cc question to Husky, and here's what they said.

--------------
Husqvarna currently offers three 50cc minibikes, the CR50 Husky Boy, the CR50J Junior, and CR50S Senior. The CR50 Husky Boy is an entry level playbike, while the CR50J Junior and CR50S Senior are serious motocross race bikes. The CR50J is approved for use in AMA-sanctioned competition in the 4-6 PeeWee class, and the CR50S is approved for use in AMA-sanctioned competition in the 7-8 PeeWee class. Both the Junior and Senior have proven to be among the fastest air-cooled minis available, and also represent perhaps the best value in mini motocross bikes, with features (like hydraulic disc brakes) that are not available even on liquid cooled bikes costing thousands more.
The engine of the CR50 Husky Boy is rated at 1.5 hp. The engine of the CR50J is rated at 4.5 hp. The engine of the CR50S is rated at 7.5 hp. I have seen some dyno tests of these models that our dealers have performed, and it seems that they tend to have a little more real-world horsepower than the "rated" horsepower output.

The wheelbase of the CR50 Husky Boy is 890mm, or 35.04 inches. The wheelbase of the CR50J is 910mm, or 35.83 inches. The wheelbase of the CR50S is 980mm, or 38.58 inches. Further specifications on all three models are available on our website, www.husqvarnausa.com.

You should talk ask your dealer about our current "Mini Madness" promotion. If you purchase a new 2001 CR50J or CR50S from a participating dealer through the end of August, you will receive a free N-Style factory-team-replica graphics kit for your bike, AND a $200 "Minibucks" certificate good for parts, accessories, apparel, etc. at your dealer's store.

Thank you for your interest in Husqvarna motorcycles.

Regards,
Curtis Jurrens

Cagiva USA
Husqvarna Sales Manager, Eastern Region
----------------

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Sorry about givin the wrong specs to you on the wheelbase:silly:
But are you leaning towards Husky or KTM?:think

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Presently leaning toward KTM. They do a better job of describing their 50cc bikes on their website. Might not even be as good, but what I want to know is listed, and if you can't find a bike in their series, you ain't trying very hard. Every last spec is listed. I like that a lot. Especially the HP ratings (I'm not looking for a lot, just middle to low).

Also, there is a KTM dealer in Bismark that supports riders and racing, and they offer a fair price on the lil bikes.

I'd like a bike with about 26-28"" of seat height, a 39-40" wheelbase and about 4-hp. 6.5hp on a little bike with a 50 pound rider is quite a handful I'm thinking. I don't care about liquid or air cooled, but liquid would be nice. From what I see, most liquid cooled 50's are around 6.5hp and up, nothing down low ( and I suppose I can see why the manufacturers do it that way)My little rider is outgrowing the size of her xr50r, not the power or speed, the size. So i'd like to find a bigger bike with the specs I have above. I really don't care who makes it. For $1500 bucks, you can afford to buy more than one and sell the other. It's not like $6000+ for an adult racer.

But still, you want to be as informed as possible and make good decisions.

Bob

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Hmm, maybe this is the answer.

Maybe this is the hot ticket.

I get the KTM sr adventure, I like the size, but feel it has to much power for my rider. Then, I take the 18mm carb off and put the 14mm carb on it from the jr adventure, and the pipe off of the mini-adventure. I bet it all that stuff interchanges. That should knock that 6.5 horsepower back to about 4.5-5, right where I'd like it. As the rider improves, and if it's appropriate, I'll pop the bigger carb and pipe back on it.:cool:

Heheh, I think I've got it!!!!

Bob

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom