Polisport hand-protector info needed

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes I do. I like 'em cuz they don't break (like acerbis I've used..and some other brands I don't remember the names of).

A websearch (google) will get you hundreds of references to 'polisport'. Some of them will get you to weird spots...like quest portal and dungeon information. Anyway, look around there. (polisport.com exists...but it requires flash 6.0 and says 'works better on faster computers, ...which evidently is NOT my 733mhz).

It took me a good while to even FIND the things. My riding buddy got them cuz the color matched his kawi. No name on 'em anywhere.

I ended up describing their appearance over the phone to several different shops before I came up with a name.

Note: Maier (sp?) is similar but NOT as good.

With the name, I went to my local bike parts shop and ordered some.

Inside mount is to the handlebar. At least they fit. The acerbis units didn't fit on EITHER end. The outside mount is your basic slip joint to fit inside the bar. Allen head hardware.

Again...these are NOT very good brush guards, cuz they are narrow. I like them because they FIT for one thing..and they take a good beating without breaking, cracking or splitting.

...all of which the acerbis did. (get the idea I don't care for acerbis??)

While the polisports do stay pliable and do bend when crunched, I've not broken a lever with them. I'd say tree whacking is what they do best! They are pliable enough that you can loosen the outside slipjoint and remove them when you replace grips.

Couldn't do that with the acerbis guards I had.

Well..the flash load is finally done:
sales contact jose.saraiva@polisport.com
general contact polisport@polisport.com

They're based in portugal.

Good luck!

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
thanks for the info.
I had emailed the distributor at bikealert.com and got this reply:
"Polisport has a hand protector that wraps around and will protect you
from branches but it will not offer a lot of protection from falls. For
protection from falls you are going to need an aluminum bar type
protector (it will need a plastic flare so that it can also protect you from
branches). I am currently out of the Green but I do have some white in stock that might look good on your KDX. They clamp on close to the bend in your bar and fix to the ends of the bar through the grip with an expansion fitting. Our price is about $30. The protectors flex. They are made of injected nylon (very tough stuff) but it does flex. They do offer some protection for the levers but are not anything like a guarantee that you are not going to get damage."

I think I may go ahead and order a pair. Canyon, do you have any photos of them on your bike? It seems this is the only brand that offers green. After some more web searching I finally located them at http://www.lukesracing.com/luksr/wb67.html

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I can take some pics.

The description you got is pretty good..and I agree. Polisports don't 'guarantee' anything, they are NOT brush protectors, but they DO flex..and I consider that a good thing. I for one don't want a metal bar smashed against my knuckles.

You don't want white.

Hope you like 'em.

Hey..did you notice the $$ @ lukes on DeltaForceII reed valves?? Wow. What a deal!!!

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
yeah, white would look pretty terrible after hitting just a few linbs.
I agree that metal in a bad crash could be more of a drawback than an advantage.
I'll have to take time to check out other prices of stuff at Lukes web site.
:-)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I have several different shots, angles. Send me your email adx if you want me to send them. I can send either the 'email' versions (15K/ea.) or the 640x480 versions (60K/ea) or one of 'em @1600x1072, 740K.

A 6.5k cropped pic posted here.

Let me know if you have winzip or somesuch. I'll zip 'em before I send 'em. That will save some time.

let me know.

ccmaint@cdsnet.net

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sorry...deleted the original to upload the smaller cropped one (trying to save space!), but then I find that the edit function doesn't allow the ADDITION of pic..only the deletion/change of one. But then...'upload new' replaces 'current'........oh well... :ugg:

...and I STILL can't delete the whole post....not even when I'm the one that posted it!

Anyway...here it is.

s-i-g-h

Attachments

• dsc00104+.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

B

Jun 29, 2000
Hey jaguar,

Ive got the polisport handguards too and they are great for the money.

They sell for around 21 pounds here and are a bargain. They have been dropped bashed and show no sign of wear.

B

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
so, b...what's THAT supposed to mean?

Some ill-concealed comment regarding the dirt obviously ground into MINE??

:)
*******edit**********
b: I was just kidding!

re: black. Not only does it go with everything, but it's so SLIMMING!

Last edited:

B

Jun 29, 2000
Not at all. I went for black guards, as they say its always in fashion and it looks good with everything. Mine are in a simular condition it just can't be seen.

B

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…