Poll - should topend be removed after the first hour of use as stated in the manual?

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Could a moderator make this into a poll? I don't seem to have that priviledge. Thanks, Phil

So, I just bought an 04 KDX220R and am getting lots of different answers on weather I should pull the head after an hours use like the manual says to inpect for "burrs" on the ports and piston scratches.

So what do you guys think and why?

Thanks a lot,
Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Ah, screw it.
Just talked to Jeff Fredette.
He said don't bother - just ride it.

I did buy new springs, and valves for the suspension, FRD hand gaurds, and an FRD torque ring.

Woohoo - can't wait to get the stuff.

Thanks,

Phil

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Its a typo in the manual, it should say 'remove swingarm'.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
So it wshould read "Remove SWINGARM, and inspect the piston for scratches and smooth the ports if required"

Man you must be good to ispect the piston and ports through the swingarm? :laugh:

Phil

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I suspect you already know, but Justin Case;
It should read "remove swingarm after 1 hr of operation and check all pivots for any excrement of dead dinosaurs" or something like that.

What, you didn't get that TSB? :joke:

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Yep, allready read the grease write-up and will be doing it this weekend (just bought new synthetic grease).

Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
JasonWho said:
Sounds good!

If I was worried about a burr or some other manufacturing defect, wouldn't it be better to open it up before you cranked it up?

You would think so eh?

Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I did a search, but got lots of different answers.

Anyway. After Freddette said don't bother - that's enough for me.

Phil
Ordered my new springs and valves from him though ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…