r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Went out on the KDX yesterday and im slightly concerned by the lack of bite on the front brake.

It works but you really have to slam it on compared to other road machinary ive ridden.

Theres no air in the system and ive replaced the fluid and pads (which ive run in)

Any ideas? the lever doesnt feel spongy at all just no real bite!

How sharp should off road brakes be? Are we talking stoppie sharp ??

Cheers

Lee

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Should be able to fling you over the bars.
My stock front brake with EBC sintered pads wortks GREAT. And after vacuum bleeding it only moves < 1" at the handle and stops the bike hard with two fingers.

Phil

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It is quite common for the KDX to get air trapped in the bend of the hose in such a way that conventional bleeding will not remove the air. On mine, I removed the master cylinder/hose/caliper assembly from the bike, hung it straight on a wall for a few days. Tapped the line a few times each day to knock the air loose. The bubbles should rise and exit the master cylinder.

Worked on mine after countless attempts to improve the breaks by bleeding them on the bike.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Did you accidently contaminate the brake disk or pads with oil, brake fluid etc? Try cleaning up all with some brake cleaner?

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
A easy way to get that hard to get to air. Put a cable tie around the brake lever and grip, so that the brake is applied leave it like that over night.

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Thanks guys, I will drop the pads out and give them a clean in case thats the prob first.

Is there a good way to clean the disk (or as you boys call it, rotor)?

Cheers

Top Bottom