poor throttle response off idle. Why?

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
My buddy has a DRZ-400 that has a little problem. If the engine is idling and you hit the gas while in neutral, the trottle response is so slow the enging will die. I have done a little research and have come up with two opinions, 180 degrees apart. I have read that its too lean, and I have read that it is too rich. Which is it?!?! And more importantly, how do I fix it?
Rich

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Find the "fuel screw" and adjust it. It should be located near the front of the carb. My 4 strokes needed this adjusted daily. I finally bought a screw with a built in way of turning it.

Is this the dirt model?

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
Its not too lean, its too rich. The accererator pump on the carb is squirting too much fuel when you crack the throttle. You need to time the squirt until it misses the slide and is 1/2 second long.

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Originally posted by MikeyG
Its not too lean, its too rich. The accererator pump on the carb is squirting too much fuel when you crack the throttle. You need to time the squirt until it misses the slide and is 1/2 second long.

OK, this makes sense, but I have seen the same problem on 2 smokes, without accelerator pumps. Wouldn't a lean condition cause this here? As far as the accelerator pump goes, how do I adjust the squirt duration?
Tri-mx'er

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
A lean condition could cause it, is the rollon smooth? If it is, that its the accel pump. I don't know how to adjust it on a DRZ, only a YZf.

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Originally posted by MikeyG
A lean condition could cause it, is the rollon smooth? If it is, that its the accel pump. I don't know how to adjust it on a DRZ, only a YZf.

If the bike is idling, and you twist the throttle slowly, it will rev up great, and run just fine. But if you twist the throttle fast, it will bog and maybe even die. Does that sound like accelerator pump? I will have to get the book for the bike and take a look at how to adjust it.
Rich

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…