KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
After the Thor pack-rat thread and all the different configurations available and rigged up thought I'd throw something else in the mix.
Has anyone ever seen or used a pop up that carried the bikes on top? Seems like it would be really simple to build a rack connected to the frame for support and strap the bikes to the top, not to mention other junk. Maybe bolt up a heavier axle. Seems do-able , no?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I've seen that with bicycles - a good rack should do it.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The axle is the key. Most pop ups only carry an added 500 lbs. max. I'm considering the setup myself but the axle is a must.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I found out the hard way that one of my trailers wasn't made to carry weight up high when I slung a couple hundred pounds from the roof and drove to Colorado and back. By the time I got home, I had broken the welds where the roof met the sides at the back of the trailer. The whole top and sides swayed enough that the back barn doors would pop open going down the road.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Got pics? ;)

No I meant to weld up a connector directly to the frame so all the weight will be riding on it. Kinda like a cab protector like they build onto a bucket truck.
Just dreaming for now but I've been checking out a few on ebay and it looks like it will work fine, just has to be removeable so it's not adding weight when you crank the top up and definately add a bigger axle.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
KXT, there no reason that a frame attached platform would not work. See what the Max weight of your trailer is berfore wasting the effort. What type of vehicle are you going to pull with?
This question is mainly related to wind resistance. With the bikes mounted so high, they will create consideralbe drag. There is a light-weight product that could be added to make a "wind deflector with minimal framing. It is sold at Home Depot and is made of vinyl/fiberglass composite. 4'x8'x1/8" sheets are $40 and you can cut it with a saw or a utility knife(preferred method) by scoring and breaking. This stuff will bend quite a bit before it will crease and break.

Last edited:

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
It will be hauled with my S10 crew cab some of the time , shouldn't be a problem, I think it will haul around 5k. I don't even have a popup right now, just thinking towards next year. Just have to make sure I get a small enough one that won't be too heavy and still have enough room to put a bigger axle under it. I'll have t check into that sheet stuff, Thanks.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
How many bikes are you carrying? If it's just one, maybe a hitch mounted rack (if the mount is rated high enough. Or even a front hitch mounted rack for the bike.
Unless you build a trailer for the trailer. I can't see a popup carrying bikes on top.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
You don't have the vision man :confused:

They wouldn't be bearing any weight on the top of the camper.
Usually carrying two bikes, sometimes a couple little ones too but they could go in the truck. I just don't see the need to carry the bikes inside a trailer. I'm not worried about keeping the bikes covered in a trailer so I thought this might be a good alternative and keep my wife happy that I don't buy a camper just to haul bikes in.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:think: How exactly would the bikes get from ground to top of camper? I see a ramp of about 9' or 10' in length being a minimum. Now you have to store the mega ramp. Then a way for the person loading the bikes to walkup beside the bike unless you are about 7'6" tall. So maybe two mega ramps now? I suppose a rack on the side to carry them is posible but it sure seems to make more sense to either get a small bike hauler/camper with a lower load height and as an added bonus a place to store the bikes instead of the garage. Another alternative is to make people accomidations in an enclosed cargo trailer.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I was considering buying a pop up camper at one point. I also thought about ways to bring a bike along with me. Putting them on the roof just isn't an option for me. Most everyone else covered the reasons, and my gut feeling tells me "DON'T DO IT". ;) The one thought I did entertain was to find a pop up trailer that had the front storage compartment (cargo area separate from the box). I thought of removing the storage compartment, using the extra space on the frame, and possibly mounting a rail sideways on the frame to hold the bike. As for roof-mounting, mounting to the back bumper, extended reciever hitch, I see big flashing yellow lights telling me it would be a big safety hazzard or more.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You always see flashing lights, it's from when you were dropped on your head as a baby. :laugh:

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Nothing a couple of 2x6's couldn't handle. I load into a F350 4x4 now that sits waaay up so I don't see the loading height being a prob., well maybe a little....
I'm not considering doing this on a new pop-up they're comparable in price to a small toy hauler, it will be a used one that I wouldn't end up paying more than 2 or 3 k on, hopefully. Haven't seen any used toy haulers around that price. And if it doesn't work out I can gut the popup and use it's parts in an enclosed trailer, sure my wife would like the luxury of that.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've considered the conversion myself. I have a early 70's Coleman pop up with the canvas shot. The rest is decent. I saw one converted in a campground in Colorado several years ago and it was nicely done. The guy just raised the tops, took both "end" beds out and put hard sides on. Made a nice camper for a couple and a dog.:laugh:

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
OK maybe I am crazy :confused: Just looked at a bunch of trailer sites and those things look to sit way higher than I remembered. Sooooo, next idea is to extend the front tongue enough to have a bike platform??? Or drop a whole popup on a different trailer frame. I've got an old travel trailer frame with a 3500lb axle that I stripped down and made a utlilty trailer out of that I don't really need anymore, could work?
Found a couple good forums too ! www.popuptimes.com

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
haha. that's only about an hour from me. it actually looks like they did a pretty good job on the interior.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
I have had two different pop-ups and I can tell you that every one of those things are built flimsy as hell, particulary the tops. Even the frames on the newer ones are lightweight, so I wouldn't even begin to think of welding on additional crap to the frame. Maybe it would be possible to do something like that on a circa-1975 pop-up. They were built a lot heavier back then.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
A few years ago I was pop-up trailer hunting when I ran across a fella that works on trailers.

He said "yeah there great 'til the cable breaks," (I guess most use a cable mechanism for raising and lowering) "If that cable breaks when its up and you are miles and miles from home you are screwed! There's no way to get it to colapse" :eek:

I like these: http://www.aliner.com/
But they are a 'lil pricey

Last edited:
Top Bottom