George01YZ

Feb 20, 2007
My first post :) Did the Search thing too. I ride the foothills of the Mojave, lots of dusty fire roads.

I have a 2001 YZ250 for a few months, bought it used. I'm noticing that when I have the bike in gear and pull the clutch in, the bike will not move. It's like the clutch lever isn't doing anything. I've adjusted my cable with more tension, no luck. The bike seems to ride fine, but i could be wearing down my clutch, or worse my gears. Any ideas what's wrong? Fingers, plates?

If all else fails, it sounds like that Rekluse clutch is a really nice way to go. Happy trails.

George

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'm assuming a couple of things here.
1. The bike is not running with this is happening and
2. The bike is cold.
If the bike is off and cold, the oil is thick and not allowing the plates to slip, very common. If the oil is warm, you likely have a "notched" clutch basket.
A Rekluse is awesome but is not the fix to start with. Lay the bike on its left side, remove the clutch side cover, remove the spring retaining bolts, pressure plate and clutch plates. Inspect the fingers of the basket if they are "notched", reinstall the side cover temporarily, stand the bike up and drain the oil, remove the side cover.
File the groove off of the fingers trying not to remove more than 2-3mm of material. Clean the basket and case, reinstall the plates, pressure plate, springs and cover. Add oil and test.
You should be able to place a dime between the edge of the lever and the perch right where the cable is to determine in you have sufficient end play in your cable.

George01YZ

Feb 20, 2007
Yes, the bike is cold and off when I try and move it. I did not realize that would make a difference. Now that I think about it, it will roll just fine when I pull the clutch in when the bike is idling. Thanks for your help!

George

George01YZ

Feb 20, 2007
Yeah, I understand that. I just wanted to be sure there was not a problem if it doesn't move with the engine cold. Thanks guys.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The oil that was used can make a big difference also.

If a straight 30 weight or a something like a 30w-50 was used then the oil is just too thick when the bike is cold. The clutch operates in this oil so the viscosity makes a big difference.

Try replacing the oil with something like a 10w-30 or even a 5w-20 (synthetic) and see if that makes the difference.

Rod

ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
I had some of the same issues when I bought my bike used as well. Not sure what oil was in the tranny then. When I changed it with shell rotella 15W-40, as some on this site suggested, it has worked great. Alot better than before.

George01YZ

Feb 20, 2007
Great, I might try that. I have about 3hrs on my current trans oil, i'm not sure how often you guys change it out.

On a side note, where is the best place to get a Rekluse Auto Clutch? My local dealer hasn't heard of them, and i've just seen a few places online that sell it for $479 for an 01 YZ250.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If I understand the Rekluse clutch properly, it wouldn't make a difference in this case, at least for the stated problem that you couldn't push the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in and engine not running.

If I had a Rekluse clutch, I would want to make absolutely sure that my engine would idle reliably! Going back down the hill I had a hard time making it up is when I really want the engine drag to hold me back without locking the rear wheel. You drop your speed too low, the clutch disengages, the engine dies and you either stop to kick it back alive or go down the hill without engine drag!

Come to think of it, I restart my bike a lot by bumpstarting it going down the hill. Wouldn't be able to do that anymore!

Rod

George01YZ

Feb 20, 2007
I found the issue was just the thick oil, and it moves freely once the engine is idling.

The Rekluse clutch is just something else I want to purchase, doesn't have anything to do with that last issue. I ride in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mtns in SoCal, so there is plenty of technical riding which can easily wear you down and stall you.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
George:

If you convert your clutch over, I would recommend hanging on to all the pieces to convert it back. It it the technical riding that I would want a real clutch the most.

Have you ever riden a quad/bike with a centrifugal clutch? Yeah, they are nice when you are trying to go. They can suck when you are trying to stop.

I have a quad with a centrifugal clutch. It will go up some really insane stuff! It's coming down that can be a bitch. You start down, engine is dragging, keeping your speed in check. You tap the rear brake, or perhaps just slow a little bit too much and the clutch disengages. Now you have lost your engine drag and you are freewheeling down the hill.

Sure, you still have your brakes, and yes, all you have to do is gas it to re-engage the clutch but it is just really annoying!

Rod

dpaxson

Sep 30, 2006
i had this same thing happen to me when i bough a used a bike. I though there was something messed up with the clutch but after i let it warm up a little at idle it works fine.

George01YZ

Feb 20, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys, glad to know i'm not the only one who thought it was a problem at first.

I live in Palmdale right off the 14 freeway by the foothills. There are tons of trails behind where I live, lots of fireroads that are perfect for cruizing.

Thanks for the info on the Auto Clutch, that could be a problem going down steep hills, i guess it's just something else you have to get used to. I'm still pretty new to riding myself, so anything helps!

-George

George01YZ

Feb 20, 2007
The bottle says: MTL 85wt for 2 strokes. The shop recommended it, but I can see that's a pretty heavy weight compared to what you guys are suggesting. Any benefit to going with a lighter oil?

Top Bottom